Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They don't list them on the site anymore, only the 3-day $90 pass. If perhaps those three days could be split up I'd be interested, but I very much doubt that is the case. Are the single day passes a thing of the past?

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I am still very peeved at this, I can't get friends or family to go out with this year for a good saturday or sunday run because they wont buy a *over priced* 3 day pass. $90 just aint worth it for 4-5 hours of driving. It would be even worse to pay the $90 for a pass, then break down 30 minutes into the ride, which happened last year, but it was only $30. I feel embaressed to ask people and then have to say 'why dont you come up for the day, and you should get a pass, it will be $90'

*shakes head*

·
Registered
252 Posts
thats why you should buy before dec 1st.i agree 90 bucks is to steap.but like you said pay 90 bucks and break down 30 mins. into your ride.but before you say 180 bucks is to much to pay in case the season is short. no matter how you look at it there is a gamble to the whole sport.so in my opinion i would rather take a chance and pay the 180 bucks for the whole season,then waste 90 bucks for 3 days.i always hear people saying 90 BUCKS FOR 3 DAYS what a rip off.imo the whole thing is a ripp off but i seem to forget all that once i'm out on the trails.so no one should complain about the 3 day permit price as if you by a 3 day permit 2 times imo you ripped yourself off.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
How much is a 3 say pass to ski

and YES I agree a three day pass should be cheaper IMO $75

as for the 1 day pass,it was a PIA and that is why they got rid of it

Many more people would end up having to chase around somewhere to find another day pass after they had fun the previous day and wanted to go again

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
i would rather take a chance and pay the 180 bucks for the whole season,then waste 90 bucks for 3 days.i always hear people saying 90 BUCKS FOR 3 DAYS what a rip off.imo the whole thing is a ripp off but i seem to forget all that once i'm out on the trails.so no one should complain about the 3 day permit price as if you by a 3 day permit 2 times imo you ripped yourself off.[/b]

no doubt, but there was no real announcement about this, I checked the ofsc website in the late summer and fall to check for price changes, they were happy to say that prices were staying the same, and the only big announcement it had was the f*ing don cherry insurance! so you learn in December of no one day passes, so now its $230, when I bought my pass I mentioned the one day, and they didn't have a clue it wasn't available anymore either.

I know this subject has been done to death, sorry

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
The three day pass has been discussed since last spring

and has been on the OFSC website since at least Sept

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Once again I just want to voice my opinion that doing away with the one day passes was a short-sighted move, and discourages causal snowmobiliers from trying out the trails, which in turn discourages them from buying season passes in the future.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
How much is a 3 say pass to ski[/b]
Oh yea, I forgot to add...how many ski hills do you know that don't sell day passes? At a minimum, there should be weekend passes available.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oh yea, I forgot to add...how many ski hills do you know that don't sell day passes? At a minimum, there should be weekend passes available.[/b]
The 3 day pass is a weekend pass. It was intended for those people that travel to their destination on Friday and start riding Friday for the weekend. This gives them the capability to ride Fri, Sat and Sunday.

How many ski hills do you see letting people use their facilities with yesterdays pass. None! They have the means to control access to their hills. No current ski ticket no ski lift. We don't have that capability as a snowmobile organization. This only puts undue burden on the volunteer trail patrol members that would much rather be out snowmobiling themselves than trying to stop the freeloaders from stealing their hard work.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The 3 day pass is a weekend pass. It was intended for those people that travel to their destination on Friday and start riding Friday for the weekend. This gives them the capability to ride Fri, Sat and Sunday.

How many ski hills do you see letting people use their facilities with yesterdays pass. None! They have the means to control access to their hills. No current ski ticket no ski lift. We don't have that capability as a snowmobile organization. This only puts undue burden on the volunteer trail patrol members that would much rather be out snowmobiling themselves than trying to stop the freeloaders from stealing their hard work.[/b]
We have the same ability to patrol for one day passes as we do for season passes.

And a three day pass in not a weekend pass, that's ridiculous. Most people get TWO days off for a weekend, and assuming that the only people who ever want to go sledding on OFSC trails but don't want to buy a season's pass are people who are travelling to their sledding destination the idea of a THREE day pass makes even less sense.
Get off work, drive for a few hours north, and how many people are going to go riding on Friday night? Silly.

OFSC, are you listening? Bring back the one day pass!!!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Join a club and put the motion then

Have one day permits at your house and give your PHINE # to all hotels

so when someone wants a pass,they will call you at 11pm or 7am

and you will gladly stop whatever you were doing and serve that eager sledder

Seems you have all the time in the world and know what the NON permit sledders want when THEY feel it is the right time to go sledding for a day

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Maybe you can clear this up. I thought buying a pass meant I was a club member.

I wouldn't be a good one to have passes, cause I'd just tell everyone not to worry about and to go out and have a good time.

As for what all the NON permit sledders want, that's not hard to figure out. Common sense tells you that people who work 5 or 6 days a week are never going to spend $90 for a three day pass.

Seems I'm always the middle man. I spend all my time off the computer arguing in favour of buying a permit, and convincing hard-heads that it's not too much money, and all my time on the computer arguing with equally hard-headed people that the OFSC needs to do something to encourage non-permit buyers to buy permits. Is it just me that's able to see both sides of the issue? Surely you can put yourself is someone elses shoes for a minute and try and figure out why they think like they do?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Some clubs consider a permit buyer a club member but a lot of clubs have a separate membership fee to belong to a club. Our club charges $15 for a family/individual membership. The point of this is to ensure that the people who are club members actually consider themselves members. They have gone out of their way to take membership in our club. These are also the same people who tend to do all of the work (trail set-up/teardown, running the clubhouse to raise funds for club projects, special trail construction projects in the off season, trail patrol etc etc).

Once you have been on the side of the club member doing all of the work (some of us spend hundreds of hours year round on this) it is hard to have any sympathy for those people who want to freeload on our backs. As a club member who is very active I see where the permit dollars go every year and don't begrudge paying for my permits even though my wife's sled will get only about 8 hours on it this season and she wasn't on it at all last season.

In my opinion the 3 day and 7 day permits should be reserved for out-of-province tourists only. All others should be paying the season pass rate. The people wanting 1 day passes tend to be those who only add to the wear and tear on the trails while putting nothing back into the sport.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I do Newf

I am just like you

Yes at 1st glance $180 seems like alot,but step back and think about what you get

you are NOT a club member when you buy a permit

You are a MTO permit holder that gives you the right to ride OFSC trails in winter

Yes there are clubs that will say you are a member when you buy a permit but that is not the case in most areas

I pay $5 to become a member here in my club ,other clubs charge diferent amounts

I pay because it goes here to help MY club and not some club in London or Kenora

I convinced my Bros to buy a permit,well there is no snow here to groom,and I am sure we will not see a groomer here this season

So I know he will not buy next year as will many others

I have and will put another motion at my next club meeting next week to discount NEXT YEARS permit by 30-50%

Why 30-50%

Well we saved $$$ buy not grooming YET we still had to pay payments for groomers,trail improvement ect

If as a club we do not ask for a discount for next year,it will spell doom to our trail system IMO

Like I said before get involved,you have seen my posts from back in 02 and how they have changed since I have joined a club,I am not blind to both sides,I see them both

and like I said about the 1 day permit,we do not have the time to sit on our buutt waiting for some chump that decides at the last mintue to ride,our main populace is the SEASON permit buyer

·
Registered
293 Posts
I see both sides of the story, I have logged on 500kms of groomed trails this winter and expect alot more .....But the point is what is OFSC going to do when trail permits sales are so low that you don't have enough money to care for the trails, I already know alot of 2007 trail permit holders that are not going to buy next year....OFSC needs to look at the big picture, they need to come up with a plan to keep pemit buyers semi happy...I know aa few restraunts/bars have shut down this year because of a late season, so that means less places to ride to this year....The trails around here have been in good shape, taking account the lack of snow....

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
i too understand both sides of the arguement.after a truckload of snow fell in our area i took the wife out for what i thought would be a great trail ride and it was horrible.i was so mad that i couldn't wait for our next club meeting to find out what was going on.when i went to the meeting there was an angry mob there ready to string us all up lol.then the groomer manager explained how both of our groomers had broken down when they tried to take them out.just bad luck as both had been serviced and were ready to go.one broke a drive shaft and the other had an electrical problem.this seemed to quiet the angry mob who only wanted an explanation for the bad trails.but how many other people out there who did not show up for our meeting are still cursing us without knowing what really happened.communication is the only thing that i feel should be made a higher priority by the ofsc.the one day pass was a good thing in my opinion but with the high volume of traffic on my local trail already i can live without it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts