Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need the expert help from the Skidoo faithful. You guys ahve taught me ring changes, jetting, gear changes, studding, and now I have one more issue. I have a 99 Mach Z Stock sled. How do I get to the gas tank to pull the pickup out and change the filter. It appears there is a trick to finding the bolts to undo to get at it. My 99 service manual has no instructions at all. It starts with you already at the tank! Thats not much help. Ok guys, I'm just waiting to learn. Thanks for the help.

Z

·
0 Posts
To Remove the Tank,  First Remove the seat,  by removing the two Nuts under the rear of the tunnel.    When you get the seat loose,  unplug the wire harness to the rear Lights,  it is located at the rear of the tank,  under the seat.    Once the seat is removed,  Remove the Spring on the strap,  holding the  rear of the tank down.   Then unplug the wire harness to the Fuel sending sensor.   Then unplug the Vent Line that is located on the top of the tank.  (Small tube)

Under the hood,  disconnect the Fuel line,  located at the fuel line shut off valve.    Then slowly,  while raising up the rear of the tank at an angle,  remove the tank to the rear.

But before you do all this,  there is only a screen at the end of the pick up line and hardly ever does this need taken out to be cleaned,  unless you have run some pretty dirty Gas.

ZMachMan

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
is this something that has to be done every year?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Take the airbox off.  Find the gas line and give it a gentle pull.  A a gasline connecter will pop out.  With your hands pull the grommet and then pull out the gasline with the grommet still on and the filter will be at the end.  To reinstall.  Put some wd 40 on the grommet. Push back in the filter and some hose.  Push the grommet in with a little help of a screw driver.  Finally push back in the connecter that will seal it back up.  The only time I would change that filter is if it is corroded or gummed up or the check valve is not working.  I think for that year they had filters in the carbs where the gasline enters.  Take those filters out and pitch them.

Z

·
0 Posts
xotar,

I prefer to remove the tank to pull the pick up tube out.   If you give somebody advice,  to pull the pick up tube out while it is in the chassis,   and they are not familiar with the processs and they don't remove ALL the fuel,  they will have a big mess on their hands.

That is why I pull the tank,  prop the tank up on it's rear end,   so no fuel is spilled.   Besides it a great chance to clean everything while the tank is removed.

Just a thought,
ZMachMan

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes you are right on that one.  I naturally presumed that the gas would be drained out.  I normally do it my way but I have the luxury of having a Ski-Doo crank up stand and always lift what i'm working on to my height.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts