Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a LONG summer of thinking I ended up selling my Warrior I bought two seasons ago. The guys that I ride with have theirs for sale and living in central to southern IN I just don't get to ride enough to justify it. It wasn't a money thing as much as a common sense thing. The sled was paid for and I got out of it what I paid for it. The problem was my insurance was $337.00 a year, registration, trailer registration, and maintenance I was spending on average about $500.00 a year just to have it. We've decided to keep our gear and go on a few long weekend trips and rent. I know its not the best but I can rent for a few weekends and be even on the money. Plus we can go up in a car, no trailer, and if we don't get to make it north then I'm not out anything. Last year I didn't get to make one trip up north so with my $500.00 I rode about 250 miles around a few corn fields near my house. (Not what I call fun). We did keep a 97 MXZ 440F to beat around with. I had the sled for two seasons and put on less then 1000 miles, the majority of those were during the SW ride in Houghton. I plan to stick around and if things get to bad I can always buy something this spring.

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
After a LONG summer of thinking I ended up selling my Warrior I bought two seasons ago. The guys that I ride with have theirs for sale and living in central to southern IN I just don't get to ride enough to justify it. It wasn't a money thing as much as a common sense thing. The sled was paid for and I got out of it what I paid for it. The problem was my insurance was $337.00 a year, registration, trailer registration, and maintenance I was spending on average about $500.00 a year just to have it. We've decided to keep our gear and go on a few long weekend trips and rent. I know its not the best but I can rent for a few weekends and be even on the money. Plus we can go up in a car, no trailer, and if we don't get to make it north then I'm not out anything. Last year I didn't get to make one trip up north so with my $500.00 I rode about 250 miles around a few corn fields near my house. (Not what I call fun). We did keep a 97 MXZ 440F to beat around with. I had the sled for two seasons and put on less then 1000 miles, the majority of those were during the SW ride in Houghton. I plan to stick around and if things get to bad I can always buy something this spring.[/b]
Come on now, if I live in Floirda and own a sled and in the process of buying another one, I'm sure in heck a longer distance to ride than you. Actually, I'm sorry you sold it but totally understand your reasons.
Richard

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Sorry to hear of your decision but I can definitely understand.

Glad to hear you'll still be out riding on a rental.
That's certainly not a bad way to go for those that don't get a chance to get out that often.
Hopefully you get lots of riding in this year and when circumstances change in the future, you can get back into this insanity full time.

Jeff

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The most unusual part about the whole thing is my wife was hesitant about me selling. Come to find out she figured I was using the money as a down payment on a new one.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
After a LONG summer of thinking I ended up selling my Warrior I bought two seasons ago. The guys that I ride with have theirs for sale and living in central to southern IN I just don't get to ride enough to justify it. It wasn't a money thing as much as a common sense thing. The sled was paid for and I got out of it what I paid for it. The problem was my insurance was $337.00 a year, registration, trailer registration, and maintenance I was spending on average about $500.00 a year just to have it. We've decided to keep our gear and go on a few long weekend trips and rent. I know its not the best but I can rent for a few weekends and be even on the money. Plus we can go up in a car, no trailer, and if we don't get to make it north then I'm not out anything. Last year I didn't get to make one trip up north so with my $500.00 I rode about 250 miles around a few corn fields near my house. (Not what I call fun). We did keep a 97 MXZ 440F to beat around with. I had the sled for two seasons and put on less then 1000 miles, the majority of those were during the SW ride in Houghton. I plan to stick around and if things get to bad I can always buy something this spring.[/b]
I know how you feel, though in my case it was the motorbike that I let go. I love having a motorbike, but I've never had a big circle of biking friends, and the insurance was stupidly expensive.

And the renting thing is a really good idea. I wish it was easier to do that with motor bikes. I'd like to rent one for a weekend trip every now and then.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Well, at least your not totally done right? I also understand your reasons but I have to say I probably would have cried and cried. :(

As trailblazer stated, hopefully someday you can get a replacement and get back into this crazy sport we all love. :inlove:

Snow4

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless the weather changes drastically around here in the near future, I don't know. Or maybe the current plan of renting will be a total disaster. On paper it looks more appealing but then again a lot of things do on paper. If I lived further north where I could ride some more I would not have even thought about it. To me it just seemed crazy having that kind of money tied up in the sled and I was averaging less then 300 miles in a year. I think if we all go and rent sleds that are about the same speed and ride it will be just as fun, plus I am putting miles and wear on someone else's ride and I don't have to worry about it the rest of the year. I am sure I will miss those days in the garage, waxing and changing oil but oh well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know how you feel, though in my case it was the motorbike that I let go. I love having a motorbike, but I've never had a big circle of biking friends, and the insurance was stupidly expensive.

And the renting thing is a really good idea. I wish it was easier to do that with motor bikes. I'd like to rent one for a weekend trip every now and then.[/b]

hey NEWFIE BULLET my nephew works here summers is a great place to beat around on a bike for a few days -- check it out -- they have unlisted packages for season riders just call and ask -- near owen sound -- had good times every time i have been
http://www.motoparkracing.com/ontario.php

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
hey NEWFIE BULLET my nephew works here summers is a great place to beat around on a bike for a few days -- check it out -- they have unlisted packages for season riders just call and ask -- near owen sound -- had good times every time i have been
http://www.motoparkracing.com/ontario.php[/b]
Thanks for the link. That does look pretty cool, though $50/hr sounds like it would add up fast.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$50.00 an hour does seem steep. About 5 years ago a buddy of mine rented a new Arcitcat 600 in Cadilac and it was about $125.00 for 24 hours. Does anyone know if this is still about the going rate or what?

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
jt brought his bosses up to Irons, to idooskis place. they paid like 150 a day. the sleds where junk IMHO. I wish I had brought the gt600 and rented it out. I do have a buddy that is doing just what you are and he is spending less now. thing for me, I will ride if I can every weekend all winter. I may have the 700 zx to rent :whistling: , g.t. 600 ,what do you want? :wink:

·
10,054 Posts
I was thinking that a buddy of mine rented a polaris 550 fan up in Newberry for 175$ a day. Now this wasnt a bad sled,,, but 175$ a day seems steep to me. I guess it would add up on trip of 5 days,,,
If you get a chance flying-lowe,,, come up to the charity ride this year and ride with us some. Would be a great time to try renting.

·
Tragically Hip-OSA
5,007 Posts
My bosses did get junk, but most places, they are in really good shape. Depending on what size motor you get, and if you get fan or liquid cooled, prices vary. Obviously the bigger the motor and the newer the sled, the more money. Seems like $175 a day is starting point if I remember right. My cousin rented a new Ski Doo a few years ago before he bought. He got the top of the line, and it cost him around $800 for 3 days.
On a related note, my Dad is selling his sled....he bought a motor home to travel the country and doesn't think he'll ride very much. He's thinking the same thing as you...if he wants to go, he'll rent for the trip and not have to worry about all the other expenses involved. I'll have his sled listed in the classifieds soon...

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Our dealer here leases for the season. New buggy and pass you insure and add gas & oil and good to go for the season, ride under warranty and no huge outlay for a buggy, if these winters keep up the way they are I may just sell my gade and lease if we get a good winter, breaks my heart to see it just sit in the garage.

·
Registered
70 Posts
we get 2 months of snowmobile worthy snow (at absolute most) here, i make 11/hr and I just bought a sled again. Sure its older but Its been 8 years without a sled, I wasnt going another winter....

But i dont have a family, or too many pricy hobbies so I guess everyones life is different.

I might have to get a quad for summer, or just put wheels on my sled :Djk

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was thinking that a buddy of mine rented a polaris 550 fan up in Newberry for 175$ a day. Now this wasn't a bad sled,,, but 175$ a day seems steep to me. I guess it would add up on trip of 5 days,,,
If you get a chance flying-lowe,,, come up to the charity ride this year and ride with us some. Would be a great time to try renting.[/b]
I would definitely like to make another charity ride. Last time it was great but I was there with some guys who were not members here and already had the trip planned, it just lucked out that way. So I didn't get to spend a lot of time riding with the people from here, but it was definitely a good time and the evenings when I did get to hang out some where a blast.
That said check out the classifieds my brother in law has a nice 04 MXZ 600 HO Im listing for him, low milage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts