Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I drag raced a buddy and entered a radar run.  The problem is that every time I started on a  good surface, I pulled to the right and had to let off.  I was always ahead until I had to let off. This was because I couldn't steer since my skis were not touching the ground.  What could be causing this??  I loosened my track a little.  Could I have done it unevenly??

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have no clue..... But that happens to me alot and I somtimes end up cutting off the guy beside me and I have to lean and pull my sled to the opposite side to try and keep it strait......I know that it is important to have your track running true and mine is as close as its going to get but it still happens.

·
Registered
668 Posts
It's your balance.  You may think you are perfectly centered on your sled but you’re really not.  If you ever watched an msdra drag race you will see that even the pros have to man-handle it a little to keep it straight.   I've raced allot on grass and snow and the alignment of the track will not fix it.  Its all about how you ride it!  If you ask me, it’s one of the funnest things about drag racing!   Let the ponies rip, and see who can hold it the straightest to get the win!!!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Your right rear spring is weak, or miss adjusted softer than left rear. Or your chassis is misaligned, from your track drivers back. Or your stud pattern is not balanced at all. Or you used two slightly different stud styles or heights. Or one of your limiter straps is screwed up. Or ski-doo masters thoughts possibly. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ive had four machs and all of them did this same thing . Even when it was new they did this with the sc 10 . For racing you can wind up the rear on the side it pulls to and back of the side you are already leanning to, this works real well. If you are heavilly studded you may have to shorten your limiter strap and possibliy drill one new hole between the two factory holes to keep it going straight.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Most likely it is just your balance. YOu have to steer it like a bike when the skis are off. Just give it a bit of lean...best to practise before running against other guys.

It could be what Sharkey said...but sometimes apply the KISS principle first and it'll solve your problem. It's not ALWAYS the sled!

Last edited by Rocketman at Mar. 28, 2002, 10:08pm

·
Registered
172 Posts
you have to mess around with the rear suspension to get the sled tracking in a straight line, you shouldn't have to put much driver input for the sled to run straight.   I am betting that it is your front limiter strap that is messed up.     if the sled pulls to the right, tighten up the left limiter a bit, and vise versa. you track being mis-aligned will only do it if it is way way off, and if it is that bad you will prolly hear a few other noises, so i am guessing it is not that.    for a quick fix do like the other guys said and try tightening either spring on the back one or two.   also what year is your MXZ?  setting up SC-10 and SC-10II are just a tad different.
anyway, i disagree with what the other guys said about having to "Man-Handle" the sled, once you get it set-up right, the only time it will pull to the side is in real un-even starting lines

1 - 8 of 8 Posts