Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the current campaign of zero alcohol enough to curb riders that drink and ride or will it take lawmakers stepping in with legislation to force the issue or do you feel it should be left up to the individual as to whether or not they have one or two before heading out?
My opinion is carved in stone. Alcohol, even in small amounts,is not acceptable when operating a snowmobile, period.
Whats your view?
Rick.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Save the beer for the war stories after the ride. If a person needs mix booze with riding to have fun, then maybe that person needs to find another source of entertainment.

Sadly, as with everything it seems, Johnny law is going to inevitably be stepping in in an effort to "fix" the problem

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i will not ride with anyone who wants to booze it up trailside,or drive drunk,ive gotten in a few good arguments over drinking and driving,ZERO tolerance is the only answer to the question,if you cant put the bottle away for a few hours of your day to do some riding then you have a big problem

·
Registered
741 Posts
I say save it or later also. I don't even have "one" with lunch. :p

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
i am too young to drink, but i don't say i don't do it. I shouldn't even be riding the trails round here my self, never mind drinking and riding. I know some guys like my dads age, that i go sleddign with the odd time will bring a 600 ml bottle of vodka *(mixed) and have a sip now and then. Not enough to even make them notice it, but it is still to much for when you are ridign. But i guess i can't tell them what to do hey? :blahblah:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
:( I talked to a guy at work that drinks and rides.... He said that he has no respect for anyone that doesn't drink and ride.....what an idiot....he tried to tell me that that was what riding was all about...hitting 7-10 bars in a night !!! With people like this on the trails it is no wonder people die!! All i said to him was that i hoped that he didn't hurt anyone when he has his accident...cause ya know it is gonna happen!!! Lets only hope that people like this only hurt themselves and no one else!!!

We were on a trip this year and stopped in a small northern town for lunch..the place was packed with sledders.. we went in an ordered 3 pepsi's and 2 coffee! The waitress laughed and asked what we really wanted from the Bar!!Everybody in that place except for the five of us were drinkin!!

Around here is seems like if you don't drink and ride you are the outcast! The bars are always packed!! I know some of the people in the bars are not drinkin( I am one of them) but the majority that i see are! I have seen guys that can't walk jump on a sled and blast down the lake at 100 mph at 3:00 am( there is a bar 3 miles from our Cabin)You always know when the bar closes! It is absolutely crazy!! What gets me is half the people that do it don't find a problem with it!!They think that the only people they are gonna hurt are themselves and if that!!

Too many foolish and unnessesary deaths due to downing a few drinks at every bar!! Save it till your home!! :angry: Thats my 2 cents

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
even with the terribly small amount of snow we had last winter i think a few of us can remember the finger pointing that sledders got just from a few drinkers in the headlines. :withstupid:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
im not a big guy but i will argue with any knucklehead about drinking and driving,they are a burden to society,and the thing that really gets me going is when someone is drunk and kill someone they get 2-5 years in jail .....for taking a human life... :angry:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Originally posted by Bauer@Oct 18 2002, 04:41 AM
i am too young to drink, but i don't say i don't do it. I shouldn't even be riding the trails round here my self, never mind drinking and riding. I know some guys like my dads age, that i go sleddign with the odd time will bring a 600 ml bottle of vodka *(mixed) and have a sip now and then. Not enough to even make them notice it, but it is still to much for when you are ridign. But i guess i can't tell them what to do hey? :blahblah:
I would tend to think just the opposite. Refuse to ride with them when they bring the drink along. It's not easy being one upped by a "youngster" in the good judgement department.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I agree with Bauer. It takes some talent to run a machine that ways somewhere around 500pounds and has 100-150+hp. We don't allow people to drive a car drunk so why is it acceptable to drive a sled drunk. I refuse to ride with anyone thats drinking. There have been quite a few horror stories over the years to give good reason not to yet many of the guys still do. Running in to haybales, culverts, rivers, races down main street, and a game of chicken. I just hope never to meet someone on the trail thats been drinking.

By the way has anyone else heard about the deal for the ski loop.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Well I'll be honest and say that I have been know to have a brew with lunch, BUT have since been "enlightened" and agree that we just can't afford any mistakes and give the greenies or any other anti-sledders any more ammo. ??? I don't NEED to have one with luch so I wait until the sled is parked now and think that if anyone NEEDS to drink while they are out needs to get with AA. ;)

·
Registered
546 Posts
The next time you find someone drinking on the trail, ask them to pay your insurance, they are part of the reason it's going up.
Half the accidents that happen are alcohol related. :hallo1:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
the majority of deaths are--- night driving+alcohol---,how come people that drink always have to try and prove how good they can drive after a bunch of beers?a few years back 20/20 did a program where riders did a course sober than had a bunch of drinks then did the course again,it really opened the drivers eyes after they watched the tapes and saw their reaction times and driving ability go way bad..

A

·
0 Posts
I admit, I did it in my younger days, but I have quit drinking altogether now. Too many alcoholics in the family. :doh:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Originally posted by PANTERAONE@Oct 18 2002, 01:21 AM
the majority of deaths are--- night driving+alcohol---,how come people that drink always have to try and prove how good they can drive after a bunch of beers?a few years back 20/20 did a program where riders did a course sober than had a bunch of drinks then did the course again,it really opened the drivers eyes after they watched the tapes and saw their reaction times and driving ability go way bad..
Along with the driving ability and reaction time going away......so does the fear factor, and thats what gets people hurt or killed. I will sometimes have a beer with my lunch but thats usually it and if someone in the party is drinking more, I will ususally take the lead so that they won't take unnecessary chances.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Made a promise to the wife(and myself) that I wouldn't drink when I'm out riding. Save it for when the sled is parked for the day. Besides when it's time to stop for lunch, I want water to re-hydrate. Have committed to that promise, and never intend to sway. I have a family waiting at home for me to return safely. Unfortunately, not everyone remembers thinks of the consequences of drinking and riding, I wish they would. :angry:

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
The inquest this year in Midland Ontario centered around a sledder who was last seen in a tavern, gets on his sled misses a corner on a approach to a bridge (supposedly not well signed) & kills himself. After the inquest, the widow says she had been approacehed by a couple of lawyers. Well of course :doh:

Two comments, this is an example of why the OFSC's insurance has gone up.

Secondly, if you are in an accident & there is alcohol in your bloodstream, you by law should forfeit any legal recourse. Of course the lawyers wouldn't want that. Why should you be able to sue because of your stupity?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I talked to a guy at work that drinks and rides.... He said that he has no respect for anyone that doesn't drink and ride.....what an idiot

Im not big either but I tell you what. i will throw down with some idiot that thinks he is kewl to Drink and drive. NO ALCOHOL AT ALL.
No need of it. People like that have no respect/morals. What happens if he killed one of his own family memebers, or someone else killed his family memeber ( and drunk) how would he feel?

I can;t stand ignorant people/. He needs a wake up call

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Panteraone I agree wholeheartedly, and have gotten into agruments with my friends over a single beer at lunch. There is no need for liquid courage.
As others have said drinking is for telling stories at the end of the day. We also REFUSE to drive with people who have been drinking.

Ladyk and I were both unpset and angry over the incident in Midland last year. I dont know if they won yet , these things take up too 5 years, but I hope they lose the case and have to cover everyones cost. The one thing I learned after my accident is, ambulance chasers are worthless. A litigation team is required.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts