Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have to have a bearing puller to get the bearing off the drive axel pto side, I took the clip of and the bearing and it's seems to be pressed on the shaft, is the a garage tool that i can use, or do i have to buy a puller.Thank you Dave

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Honestly a puller would be less hassle and painless (knuckles). But if your going to take out the drive shaft you can break the outer race (wear safety goggles) then carefully grind a groove on each side of the inner race and crack that too. The new bearing can be heated to 200 degrees F and dropped onto the drive shaft after you have cleaned it up with 180 grit emery cloth.

Don't forget to note the order of the flanges and spacer behind the bearing

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly a puller would be less hassle and painless (knuckles). But if your going to take out the drive shaft you can break the outer race (wear safety goggles) then carefully grind a groove on each side of the inner race and crack that too. The new bearing can be heated to 200 degrees F and dropped onto the drive shaft after you have cleaned it up with 180 grit emery cloth.

Don't forget to note the order of the flanges and spacer behind the bearing[/b]
What kind of puller would work, the one whith two jaws and a bolt in the middle,can i get one at auto zone. or is a snowmobile tool only. I just what to take the bearing off the shaft to inspect it.Thank you Dave

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
If your carefull, you can use a 2 jawed puller and not damage the inner metal bearing seal protector. Carefull is the key word here as the bearing relies on this protector to keep dirt and stones from damaging the PTO side bearing. I have attached the 1998 S-model drive shaft repair section of the service manual for your reading pleasure. Note that Bombardier uses a bearing holder which their universal puller attaches to.

Good Luck !!!

[attachment=33869:98_s_Driveshaft.doc]

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your carefull, you can use a 2 jawed puller and not damage the inner metal bearing seal protector. Carefull is the key word here as the bearing relies on this protector to keep dirt and stones from damaging the PTO side bearing. I have attached the 1998 S-model drive shaft repair section of the service manual for your reading pleasure. Note that Bombardier uses a bearing holder which their universal puller attaches to.

Good Luck !!!

[attachment=33869:98_s_Driveshaft.doc][/b]
Thank you Thumbdoctor. dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts