Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and couldn't find anything so please excuse me if I missed the answer somewhere in another thread.

I blew the drive belt on my 1995 440 Indy Sport.

I went and bought an aftermarket belt and threw it on and tried starting the sled, the clutch kept engaging and making the track spin. My buddy thinks the belt is too short and that maybe we have to adjust something.

Sorry this is my first sled and I have no clue what I am doing. Anyways I thought maybe it was just the aftermarket belt and I took it back and got the oem polaris belt. Its the exact same size and does the same thing.

So I dunno what to do now, don't want to take it in to have a belt installed it looks simple enough, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
a lot of times the belt needs to stretch out. is the belt in the right position on the secondary sheave, because if its to low in there, then that will make the track spin. most sleds the belt is sopposed to be about 1/8 inch above the top of the secondary. if its too low, then take the secondary apart and take out spacers

·
Registered
21 Posts
a lot of times the belt needs to stretch out. is the belt in the right position on the secondary sheave, because if its to low in there, then that will make the track spin. most sleds the belt is sopposed to be about 1/8 inch above the top of the secondary. if its too low, then take the secondary apart and take out spacers[/b]
Actually the belt has to sit lower in the secondary if its too tight and the track is spinning. The higher it sits up the tighter it will get. I'm not sure about this particular sled but most driven clutches have a set screw that will spread the halves apart if its tightened and vice versa. A good way to tell if its set right is if the sled does not try to pull itself ahead at an idle. Jop500 is right, generally the belt should set up about an 1/8" above the secondary at an idle. If you leave it too tight though your belts will burn alot faster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply guys, a polaris mechanic here did me a favor and he looked at it, the secondary clutch is not original equipment, he thinks it may be out of a 4 wheeler or something. The belt as it is sits right over top of the secondary, not dropping in at all.

Thanks for the replys, if anyone knows how to look up part numbers the number thats stamped on this clutch is 5630356-03.

I have a line on a clutch out of a xcr 600 that will apparently work well on my sled, and will work with the belt that I have also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts