Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what drive belt that all you use? Do you use the Doo standard or the GoldXLD? Whats the difference between the two(other than the price)?
They do not make a Gold series for my Formula, just the standard 417300067.
Thanks
FZ700

·
Registered
211 Posts
I use the standard Ski-doo belts. Belt life and performance has more to do with proper set-up than the belt itself. Making sure the belt deflection and clutch alignment are correct will do more to lengthen belt life and maintain performance than any differences in belts. You should be able to get 1500-2000 miles no problem with a standard belt unless you are exceptionally hard belts. Obviously, grass dragging, or other hard uses will seriously affect belt life.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My clutches are cleaned and aligned, and belt deflection checked. But what makes the GoldXLD better? I know it costs around $40-$50 more than the standard. Is it a harder compound of rubber? Supposedly they are warrantied for one year. Thats what I heard.

FZ700

·
Registered
692 Posts
they must be built better? take a look at the bushings ski doo came out with no more rubber! and with belts you can pick up performance and hp. call benoint performance i do think he pick up 14 hp on custom belts! so the only way to find out is buy one and try it.
i run ski doo reg belts on my mach 1

·
Registered
677 Posts
I use the doo standard. I got 2 free when I purchased my sled. I might try an aftermarket gates or ultra max 2 when the doo belts are done?.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi Ski-Doo men!

i try all sorts of drive belts! The best,Gold XLD but you do a new clutch set-up before installalling because it will slip and engine will overrev! The second is the standard ski-doo belt but it can cause more damage to your sled when it brokes.The third is the dayco Ultimax-2 you can do in hard riding 500 to 600 milles before she brokes and the fourth is the Goodyear(top of the line) who do 500 to 600 milles before it brokes!
I compare life of drive belts,not performance, with a hard riding and perfect factory clutch alingment set-up on a stock Mach z 1998.I begin doing Ski-Doo mechanic in 1964 and Doo begin to have serious durability drive belts problem in 1994 on top of the line sport sled.
Note that the Gold XLD have a 1 year garanty ,but you may change your clutch set-up to use it!
Belt life can vary dramatically on the same sled .It depends of the type of driving!!One of my friend do all the winter (3500 to 4000 milles) on a standard Doo belt,after 7000 milles he has never replaces brake pads. To do the same distance it takes to me 3 to 4 belts and one to 2 set of brakes and one disc brake!

Bye Z36Qc! Take care! :0:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts