Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which make of drive belts are you guys using with good success? I have a 2001 Summit 800 which seems to be going thru belts, I have been using Bombi belts but at $100 CDN it is getting expensive. It seems I am getting alot of belt slip, is there something I can do to the clutch and/or belt to improve? Someone suggested running fine emery cloth across the shives while the engine was running to clean the clutch shives good. I have been cleaning with acetone, is this better?
What are your comments?

Thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
Last year my sled blew one Bombardier belt and 3 Good Year Power streaks.  I put a Dayco Ultimax 2 on this year and I haven't had any problems.  

However, before this season I took my sled to the dealer and had the clutch aligned.  He said that it was out of alignment just a hair, but it could have deffinatly been causing the problems.  

So basically I can say that I know that the Dayco's hold up pretty well, but it wouldn't be fair to "diss" the other belts I tried cause my clutch wasn't right.

You live in Canada right?  If I were you I would go to Canadian tire and pick up a Good Year Power Streak belt (if you have one close by).  If that belt blows you can just bring it back and they will exhange it on the spot for free.  Like I said, I went through 3 last year and they didn't ask any questions at all.

Take care.

-Josh

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Im running the 127# belt on my 02 mxz800 renegade. I have 1900 kliks on her.  We checked the original belt at the dealers today and its mint, just like brand new. Most of my mileage is off trail breaking powder. To ensure belt life make sure its broken in for 50 miles and get the machine moving in the morning without driver weight.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm running the ultimax 2 and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Thats the other reason why i gave up on ski-doo.I I used 7 belts last year on my 800 summit at a $100 bucks a pop. It seems like the cords always came out the sides and ane time a cord wrapped around my speedo cable and crushed it. The tra clutch runs really hot compared to a spider and I think that that might of had something to do with it.
    P.S
My clutch was alinged

·
Registered
852 Posts
I`ve done some weird stuff with clutching over the years and i  would have to say that if you eat a belt in less than a 700 miles, trail  riding, no matter how hard you ride you should have your dealer or somebody that knows clutches find whatever problem you have. Personally on the trail I dont think I would wear out a belt in a season of riding but its not like I rode much this year but in general a top of the dayco, Oem or Extreme should last a long time with no problem.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I`ve done some weird stuff with clutching over the years and i  would have to say that if you eat a belt in less than a 700 miles, trail  riding, no matter how hard you ride you should have your dealer or somebody that knows clutches find whatever problem you have. Personally on the trail I dont think I would wear out a belt in a season of riding but its not like I rode much this year but in general a top of the dayco, Oem or Extreme should last a long time with no problem.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I HAVE A 2001 MXZX800 AND I HAVE PUT ON 1250 MILES ON THE STOCK BELT. THESE ARE NOT EASY MILES EITHER,THEY ARE HARD NASTY VICIOUS MILES RIGHT TO THE RUGS MILES.I LIVE ON A RIVER SYSTEM SO I WOULD CHECK THE ALIGNMENT IF I WERE YOU.CHECK THE ALIGNMENT YOURSELF IF POSSIBLE AS THE DEALER COULD BE WRONG.THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BOMBARDIER BELTS OTHER THAN THEY WEAR ON THE SIDES WHICH YOU CAN ADJUST FOR ON THE SECONDARY.I HAVE NEVER BLOWN A BELT ,BUT I ADJUST MY OWN ALIGNMENT MY SELF.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have owned my 99 mzx 600 for 3 seasons and about 4300 miles.  I use the bombardier belt and only have had a cord rip out on one so far.  I replaced that one with a new one and haven't had a problem ever!  I even race this thing and trail ride very hard.  My brakes start to burn up if I ride hard enough and my belt never fails.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts