Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke my Drive Chain on my 2000 Powder Special 700. Got a new one and cant get it to go on.
Im pulling as hard as I can but the gears with the chain on just wont go on.

Does anyone know how to get it on? Is there a trick? The snows running out fast on the mountian
and I want to get out there.

·
Registered
644 Posts
You need to check to be sure the new chain has the same number of links as the old one had. Installing chain is often easier by removing one or both sprockets and placing the chain over both, and then sliding the sprockets onto their respective splines. Make sure the tensioner is not interfering with what you are doing. Also, it's a very good idea to check the sprockets for wear. I don't think it's such a bad idea to replace all three parts: sprockets and chain, when one of them fails.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Yeah I just did this yesterday and at first I couldn't get the top gear to go on at all. Try to put them all on as an assembly and also make sure the tensioner is all the way open.

What goes wrong is the jackshaft or driveshaft get turned a little while you're working and they no longer exactly align, so when you try to get the chain and gears on there you can't get one to line up and they don't go on. I put the bottom one on first partially, with the chain, then work on getting the top gear on with the chain. Rock the brake disc or have a friend turn the secondary while you try to slide the gear on, that should do it. Yesterday I had to mess with it for a good five minutes before it finally slid on and then it was like nothing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Broke my Drive Chain on my 2000 Powder Special 700. Got a new one and cant get it to go on.
Im pulling as hard as I can but the gears with the chain on just wont go on.

Does anyone know how to get it on? Is there a trick? The snows running out fast on the mountian
and I want to get out there.[/b]

Thanks for all the info- I think that the gears are different than stock before I got it. There is
the same number of links, which is strange. No matter how hard I pull its off like a cm. so I
guess I need a chain with one more link.

Top gear is 19 teeth, and bottom is 40 teeth, does anyone know if thats stock?

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
http://www.alpha-sports.com/arctic_cat_parts.htm

The parts diagram will tell you what's stock. And yes, it's 19/40, and that's a pretty good mountain-oriented gearing for a 700 in my opinion. I really think it will go back on with the right wiggling, you may have to just barely start the top gear first and then try to start the bottom, then slide them on together.

Do you know for sure if you got the correct chain? It should be Part# 1602-041 Desc: CHAIN, 70P - 13 WIDE. I guess if it's really that tight and you're sure you have right chain the only answer is buy the chain with one more link, it should be okay since the current one is so short.

This could be a larger problem if the teeth on the bottom gear are messed up, for example, and then the chain links don't seat properly and that's why you can't get the chain to reach as far as it should. I suppose you've inspected it closely but if not, do that. You could also consider going to 19/39 for more top speed if you have a stock mountain track, or 18/40 for more torque if you are running a longer track/rail extension. Either way would probably solve the problem as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://www.alpha-sports.com/arctic_cat_parts.htm

The parts diagram will tell you what's stock. And yes, it's 19/40, and that's a pretty good mountain-oriented gearing for a 700 in my opinion. I really think it will go back on with the right wiggling, you may have to just barely start the top gear first and then try to start the bottom, then slide them on together.

Do you know for sure if you got the correct chain? It should be Part# 1602-041 Desc: CHAIN, 70P - 13 WIDE. I guess if it's really that tight and you're sure you have right chain the only answer is buy the chain with one more link, it should be okay since the current one is so short.

This could be a larger problem if the teeth on the bottom gear are messed up, for example, and then the chain links don't seat properly and that's why you can't get the chain to reach as far as it should. I suppose you've inspected it closely but if not, do that. You could also consider going to 19/39 for more top speed if you have a stock mountain track, or 18/40 for more torque if you are running a longer track/rail extension. Either way would probably solve the problem as well.[/b]

Cool Thanks a ton Ill think Ill look in to things !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts