Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 Polaris Indy 500 and after the first hour of riding this season the drive chain began slipping. when I tighen the tensioner its OK for a while then slips off again. The teeth on the gears look to be in pretty good condition and so does the chain. Should I replace them? Is it difficult?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would check to make sure the chain tensioner nut is not coming loose. To change the chain and gears is easy ,about a half hour job.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If it is indeed the chain which is slipping, you are probably "making metal" in the chaincase. If it keeps getting loose, I hope it is simply a tensioner issue but I doubt it as they rarely come loose unless you aren't fixing the jam nut. Assuming you are do that correctly, there are two things to look at. First, is the tensioner in good condition? It may be worn out. Pull the cover to check things out. Secondly, if the tensioner is alright, then there could be a problem with a bearing on either the drive or jack shafts which allows some play in the system. If everything looks good in there - and look the chain and sprockets over real well since any significant wear or corrosion probably call for replacement of both sprockets and chain- then you might be hearing something that sounds like chain ratcheting but is actually something else. It could be you track. It can make quite a racket at times if it starts to skip on the drivers. (That can also ruin both track and drivers so make sure you see that if it's happening.) Adjust the tension on the track to correct that if it's the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would check to make sure the chain tensioner nut is not coming loose. To change the chain and gears is easy ,about a half hour job.[/b]
Thanks for the help, it looks like I'm going to replace the gears, chain and tensioner.

·
Registered
63 Posts
when you change them all out, you might look into a different gear?? ive been contemplating this for my sled. a little more take off power would be nice in a small displacement sled. for instance my sled is 21/39 gearing(1.86). i was gonna go to 20/39(1.95) or 21/40(1.91). drops the gear ratio just a little. on a small displacement sled you should gain quite a bit out of the hole, and lose very little if any top end. just a thought. good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts