Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a new track on my 2000 mxz 700. I was wondering if I should also change the drive shaft bearings while I'm at it? Or are these bearings uncommon to go? My sled has almost 7000 miles on it. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
393 Posts
my mach z has 3700 miles on it and i`m replacing the bearings on the jackshaft and the driveshaft. with 7000 miles on your sled i think it would be a good idea if you are going to have it apart anyway .

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
while you are there get right on it steimy, it is a little further to go now but if you have to go back for a $3.00 bearing later you'll be kicking yourself. besides if you have to go back again just think of the parts that you'll have to replace for a second time because you damaged them taking them out.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
you might as well change it,i have 8000 miles and changed my driveshaft,jackshaft and chaincase bearings(including tensioner bearing) this summer, the bearings are inexpensive + beats down time in the winter,and on my jackshaft bearing the inner race was starting to get little cracks in it

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:withstupid: I know, It's just the " do I really want to take all of this apart If I don't really need to" Just needed a little push.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
356 Posts
Steimy, Try asking us a really tough question.......this one is a "NO BRAINER".......change the frigg'n things.......

Actually its not to bad, you'll be glad you did, and you don't want to mess up a good riding weekend burning down a bearing on the side of the trail.... the way the winters are going we don't get that many good ones ya know...... Good Luck.....DooZ ??? ???

·
Registered
524 Posts
You dont eve need to ask yourself the question "Do I really need to do this?"If youre changing the track you will already have it apart, it may add 10 minutes and $10 to the cost. Id doubt the chaincase side needs replacement but I change my PTO side bearings every other season regardless of miles, if I keep the sled that long. you should also pick up a new chaincase seal, its 3 yrs old and theres a change you may damage it changing the track anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts