Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1999 500 xc and i was riding today in the fields when i noticed my speedo stoped working as well as my odometer. does this mean my bearings are gone or just an electrical problem. also i have reverse and today when i put it into reverse and gave it gase i could hear the gear grinding and poping. i tried it twice and both times it did this. it goes in forward fine no noise or grinding. what is going on with this thing?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
for your speedo chances are its the insert(in the shaft)that might have to be replaced its only a couple bucks,or your cable broke,as for the reverse you just might need to do an adjustment,its a good idea to take the cover off and inspect,then adjust the linkage

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thiers a good indication the bearing is going.The tip on the cable brakes from the excess play in the drive shaft.You'd better check to make sure. Better safe than sorry :D

·
Registered
791 Posts
Better look into it before it gets expensive. I have seen people just keep driving once the speedo stops and destroy drive shafts, sprockets, gears. I have actually seen a drive shaft almost wear completely out riding around on the bearing and two chain cases explode open from everything pileing up. Another good way to see if a bearing is gone is just to check the level in the chain case if it has leaked out there is a good chance the bearing is gone. But the speedo is on the other side, if one is worn out good chance so is the other. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
bonedaddy said it ,, the usuall indicator for a bearing going is the speedo cable goes. go underneath, grab the shaft and check for play.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Originally posted by Valleyman@Nov 19 2002, 06:54 AM
bonedaddy said it ,, the usuall indicator for a bearing going is the speedo cable goes. go underneath, grab the shaft and check for play.
I'm with this guy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts