Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace the driveshaft bearing on a '94 Indy Sport SKS. Do I need to drop the entire rear suspension to do this? Any tips or pointers would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I haven't had the pleasure myself, but have heard that with the secondary removed, guys have been able to get the right puller on them and remove them using that. I've also heard of guys tapping the bearing off the end of the shaft from inside the tunnel. I'd try/check out both methods prior to pulling anything else. FWIW

·
Registered
32 Posts
I haven't had the pleasure myself, but have heard that with the secondary removed, guys have been able to get the right puller on them and remove them using that. I've also heard of guys tapping the bearing off the end of the shaft from inside the tunnel. I'd try/check out both methods prior to pulling anything else. FWIW[/b]

Which side do you have to replace?? If you are replacing the one on the side where the secondary is then like michahicks said, you can simply remove the secondary and then below that there is the spot where your spedo goes into. If you remove the spedo line and unbolt the cover you can get at it from there with only loosening the track off. Its a bit of a pain to get back in but it can be done with out taking your entire suspension out.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Removing the suspension is nothing compared to replacing the bearing - even with the suspension off. Why make things harder than they need to be? Remove the secondary clutch. Remove the undercarriage. Open the chaincase and do things right - and well. Yes, you will get your hands dirty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Removing the suspension is nothing compared to replacing the bearing - even with the suspension off. Why make things harder than they need to be? Remove the secondary clutch. Remove the undercarriage. Open the chaincase and do things right - and well. Yes, you will get your hands dirty.[/b]

I agree it isnt hard to remove the suspension, but i just thought i would say it can be done without pulling it. Its your choice

·
Registered
644 Posts
No problem. I wasn't dissing your thoughts and don't doubt that it might be done that way. However, .....ouch! That just doesn't sound like any fun considering the tension on springs etc. ;)

I guess it must be different where you can bring a rig to a shop whose sole purpose is working on these rigs. We, however, roll our machines on their side all the time to do "the chores" - there is no other way. :(

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
This place would get boring fast if we all thought alike and standardized the way we do things! If there's nothing else I've learned haunting these forums, I've learned to keep an open mind - and learned a ton for the trouble!!! :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you rearly wantt you can change the beargings on both side with out pulling the skid out. Just loosen the track. The speedo side bearging is easyER than the chain case side. If you have to you(at least on a 95 XLT) can prop the rear up(to un load suspension) loosen the track up all the way.....pull the chain case, not as hard as it sound's... un less your in a snow bank.......pull the clutch side baging houseing and remove the jack shaft right out of the sled if you need to. I hope you don't have a spun race on the jack shaft..that can suck.

Good luck and it not as bad as it seem's.

You also can do this is 3 foot of snow,a log for a prop and some basic hand tool's with out ever turning the sled on it's side. Don't be afraid there's a lot worse to have to fix.

·
Registered
644 Posts
You guys have it way easy riding where the salt air and sea slush factors don't come into play; either that or I am getting too old for so much fun! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts