Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine recently dropped his '98 polaris indy 500 in the lake. It was about 8 feet under, it's been recovered and is now running however what is the best way to dry out the foam for the seat? We sandwiched it between two pieces of plywood and ran it over to remove most of the water but its still way to damp. Would it work to put it in a dryer with little or no heat? Or would that shred it? I would have posted this on the Polaris link but I thought I would get a better response here.  Thanks.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
It never will be a 100%. the foam will get brittle, and crack if you take seat cover off and dry it out. We has the same thing happen on a 90 Mach 1, we traded it for a new one at dealer, he put it in warehouse and still has not sold it 10 years later, it dries naturally after that long it may be fairly decent now. It will weigh a ton for quite awhile though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know a few boys that had this problem and the best way is to get a new seat, thats propably what you dont want to hear but it will save you some headaches

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
After retriving the red sub from the bottom of red stone lake I removed my seat every night and brought it in the house in front of the wood stove.It seemed to be fine the best thing you can doo for the sled is ride it to dry it out.I put 300km the day after and 3000km before I traded it.Ran amazing and apparently still does.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
My old form plus took a swim about 6 years ago.After drying it out the best i could i left it sitting beside the furnace for a few months and she was as good as new.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What you need to do is build a small frame out of wood and cover it with plastic leaving one end unsealed. Put the seat inside and seal up the open end to a De-humidifier. This will take a bit of time but just keep emptying the tank on the De-humidifier and it will suck out most of the moisture.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Alright Wilgy that idea is the best i ever heard. Im sure that would work great.  Are you a scientist?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
After you sank the sled what did you do to the engine so it would start. Doesnt the oil get washed away by the water? before you restarted it did you pull the head off and pour oil in the jugs?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As soon as the sled was out, (recovery gear still attached) the spark plugs, crank case drain plug,float bowl drains, fuel shut off and exhaust pipe were pulled.The engine was pulled over a few times to remove most of the water, the cylinders and crank case were filled with a whole can of wd-40 (thats all we had on hand.) Once we were home carbs cleaned, tank drained, oil resivor drained and blown out from the bleeder, chain case drained and cleaned, 40lb seat foam removed, most elec. connections blown out and greased w/di-electrode grease, dumped some oil in each plug hole and crank case, refilled fluids and bleed oil pump, new plugs, fired it up w/oil pump held wide open. seems to run good. still have to dry out gauges and clean/lube the clutches, replace a few bearings.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
thats lots of work!! I am going to be more careful on ice from now on. My sled would probably be screwed cause its EFI

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
mudweiser: did your friend shut his sled off before it went under?I being a Lady resigned myself to the fact I was sinking(while standing on the bumper with the sled sticking straight up and most of my seat underwater) and shut my form 500 off.My dealer congratulated me on dooing this as his brother-in-law sank his mach the week before at dorset and went down with the throttle pinned.His crank ended up screwed and the red sub was mint after.

BTW skidoo-seadoo=same thing

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
he really cant remember however, when it was pulled up the kill switch was up so we figure it went down running, he got lucky. I have never gone down myself but im sure the last thing you think of is shutting down the machine. he said he just bailed, A tether switch would have shut it down. I know when i ride on lakes from now on i will be clipping mine on. He got lucky, from what we know no internal engine damage, sled runs good. a little hard on the *ss with no seat!

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Glad your friend is alright and his sled from the sounds of it.Its pretty scary to go swimming in the winter.Does your friend wear a floater suit?I wear floater pants because I cant swim and they saved my sorry a$$.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nope just polaris bibs and jacket. I have heard that floater suits are getting quite popular. Just curious what do they get for a floater jacket or bibs? Are they bulks, plyable and comfortable?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts