Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a friend who has a mid 90's formula. He thinks its siezed because its hard to pull over. I know this sled ran very well 2 years ago. It has been sitting since. He wants to get rid of it . He said he will sell it for 300 bucks so his wife would be happy. Is it possible from sitting so long the pistons are just a little sticky? How do I cure this and is there any long term damage?

Whats youre opinion. I might buy it. If its really screwed i could probably part it out and break even.

looking forward to your opinion

·
Registered
79 Posts
It might just be belt-drag. Does it start? What's the compression?

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
If there was any water sitting in the bottom of the crank, they could very well have rust on them. If its just rings locked in place you might get lucky by dumping some thin oil down there give it a few hours, then hit the end of the crank on the clutch side with a hammer. and turn it by hand a few times first. If it dosnt move after that? tear it apart!

things to check:
*remove air cleaner check for mice
*clean carbs, free them up inside (if they have been dry for a while)
*drain the old gas out
*make sure the muffler isnt full of mice debris as well

·
Registered
63 Posts
drain all the gas, replace with new. clean out the carbs. check air box, and muffler for mice nests. new belt and plugs. a lite oil or penetrating lubricant down the plug holes. pull it over many times with plugs out. tiny bit of 2 stroke down the plug holes. pull over many more times. then put in plugs see if it fires. if it dont check for compression. if it has compression check spark and fuel. i bet it will start!

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Ive got a friend who has a mid 90's formula. He thinks its siezed because its hard to pull over. I know this sled ran very well 2 years ago. It has been sitting since. He wants to get rid of it . He said he will sell it for 300 bucks so his wife would be happy. Is it possible from sitting so long the pistons are just a little sticky? How do I cure this and is there any long term damage?

Whats youre opinion. I might buy it. If its really screwed i could probably part it out and break even.
looking forward to your opinion[/b]
If you have the time and some ebay savvy you could possibly double your money parting it out. I'd say breaking even is guaranteed if you do it right. But yeah, I'd try to get it running first. I say go for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts