Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just got a new clutch.

Question 1: Is there a correct way to install the cam weight washers?
The way I installed them they flop around. I installed them with the flat side facing out (toward the cover) but they rotate back toward the center. Is this normal? It didn't seem like they would install correctly any other way.

Questions 2: When the sheaves are pressed together they seem to stick. From full open to half closed it slides fine but once you press them together it takes a bit of force to get them apart. This is after the spring is removed! I don't remember my other cluches being like this. Maybe it's because it's brand new and just needs to be broken in?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The washers just go in like you have already done. I had the same question my first time because they look sloppy. As for the stiff clutch I have never had a new one apart .......I always put on a few miles before tinkering so they could very well be stiff like the rest of the sled.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you tighten up the bolt that the weights are mounted on too much it will cause the sheave to bind like you are describing. The nut on the end should be just snug. It is a locking type nut and should not back off. Just tighten until the nut contacts the alluminum. That should cure the binding problem. As far as the weights go the ramp side should be facing the roller. There should be one of those funny looking spacers on each side of the weight. The weight should move freely on the mounting bolt. You should not have alot of rocking side play. You should be able to see if the bushing in the weight is worn out. The over-tightening of the bolt is a common problem. Good Luck.

·
Registered
315 Posts
the weight will have some side to side movement, the shim or spacer is there really to protect the weight from digging into the alluminum on the sides. If the bushing is worn you will be able to #### the weight off to the side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IRON WILL - great tip on the pin nut. My service manual says 1/8 turn after contact. Also says 10 ft/lbs on the cover bolts. I bet this ones important! However you taked about the sheaves sticking if the pins are tight? I think mine were sticking with the cover off, spring removed, no weights. Before I started putting it together. Wait now that I think about it, I noticed it when I was trying to put the spring and cover on. Trying to pull the sheave up to get the bolts started. I can't remember, I'll have to tear it apart again tonight and check. It's these little thinks that drive me nuts! I'll let you know what I come up with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IRON WILL thanks a bunch you were dead on with the pins being too tight. Sure enough as soon as I loosened them the clutch slid smoothly. Thanks again. Here is another one though. Can I take a clutch cover off my broken ZR600 clutch and put it on a 98 ZL 500? They are the same but I'm not sure how the clutches are balanced (each component or the entire clutch). The bushing in the ZL cover is worn but my ZR clutch with a broken spider has a good cover. The service manual says to just replace the cover when the bushings are worn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts