Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished doing some testing and I noticed that my sled isnt backshifting properly...it seems to drop down to about 5000 rpms and get stuck there.
So, I took off my secondary and grabbed the two halves and I can rotate them both ways and it doesnt spring back, it just sticks there. Now, I am a little new to the rer secondary so can anyone tell me what, if anything, is wrong.
I was going to take it apart but I have to do the dine out thing.
Is this normal or is something outta whack.

thanks for your help

·
Registered
625 Posts
Have you had it apart before this point? If so did you "wind" it the right way and check preload before running it? If so sounds like something let go?

·
Registered
272 Posts
the rer has no preload, yes they just move back and forth, weird isnt it ? i'm not sure what the stuck at 5000 rpm would be, try a 200-290 primary spring it does help pull back

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've not been inside one of these either, but I've heard that they have "compression spring" in them like the primary does.....no preload?? be sure and post what the problem is, what's you find it...hope it's nothing serious...

DooZ.. ;)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
no there is a lot of preload. i have posted in the past a fiew times on this. there is almost like one setting for this secondary and that is the third hole. if u go in the second u will see that there is no preload. but in third with a little turning back of the cam to set it it will have major tention.i know what your thinking u just need very little preload. but not with the rer and after a while if u are on top of your sled u will notice that something just isnt the same.....well thats because u have lost preload and u need to reset it. after a year u should need a new spring but again if u dont race or are competive u might not notice. but in one season it does lose almost an inch in length. and thats too much 4 me. it almost seems as if it looses tention will in reverse. but i hope this helps and if u need more help just drop me a line.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmmm, I am a little baffled.
I am having a heck of a time getting my secondary apart.
Havent tried too hard yet but it should come apart easier than this.
Whats everyones trick to takeing apart the rer secondary?

And I am confused. there is supposed to be preload but is the clutch supposed to be wound up?

·
Registered
229 Posts
The preload is the spring tension holding the pulley in the closed position. This secondary is not wound up with torsional tension like the non-RER secondary is.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well got my secondary apart. The black buttons are really wore down. There was fillings everywhere. The red buttons were in great shape. NOW, all you clutch experts.....what effect does those wore down buttons have on my sleds performance? Is this whats causing my backshift problems??

Thanks guys, the doo rer secondary is a little foreign to me.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
worn out buttons will hurt backshift,i took apart a rer for the 1st time the other day,quite different from the non-rer,put new buttons in (not sure if they have teflon for the rer)and you should notice a difference right away,more with the teflon ones..

·
Registered
272 Posts
how can you get preload from a spring with no hook on it machz69 ? there is no holes in the clutdh to put it even if it had hooks, at least the one i got there is'nt ,02 800 mxz w/rer

·
Registered
261 Posts
no the hpv 27 has a compression spring ,no way to put preload in, as far as the buttons ,the buttons should have some wear this actually makes it work better because it's broken into the cam shape. this clutch has a problem w/ backshift, because of the design, then if your clutch is a year old that spring is sacked out, they really sack out in a hurry, doesn't seem to effect any sleds other than a 800 twin. as I've posted many times all the 800's I clutch I switch it over to the white wind up spring and put preload in [any where from 19 to 28 lbs.]

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ghost.....I am riding a rev 600ho. The clutch was backshifting great till just the other day. The amount of shavings inside the clutch was actually quite substantial. I cleaned it all up but it still doesnt backshift very well. It just hangs up at about 5200 rpms. I will get some new buttons and put them in on monday and see how it works.
THe buttons could be wore down because over half my 120 miles have been 500ft to 1320 ft at a time.

Kinda sucks because I am just about to go line up with a bunch of Polaris' 6-800ccs.
Thanks for everyones help. SWRules

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
r u saying that u have only 120miles on the new buttons?... if so there must be a prob there. i know that you guys will say u cant wind up the secondary and i just had a long discution with fast mach about this but im telling u u still have to wind it back to get it on the cam and still have tention. but if u just push the cam down and it works for u then good but if u want to try it just before u push the cam down all the way right at the cam buttons give her a little spin back then push down.....let me know what u think......

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I have only 120 miles on these buttons, but remember, these miles are about 500-1320 feet at a time.
I dont know how you can wind it as the bottom and top of the springs are flat with no stops. But, I will ask my dealer tomorrow as I am taking it in for their opinion.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The stock spring in an RER secondary has one tine which is there to keep the spring from turning, all aftermarket springs for the RER do not have the tine as the secondary works the same a s the clutch and there is "no" wind up to the secondary with the stock or aftermarket spring. The premature button wear we have seen in some but in others ther are none and I am assuming that some of the buttons were of inferieor product, as the ones we have replaced have had no more further problems with the buttons.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
hmmm now u have me thinking..lol... i do know that mine did come with the tine in the 3rd hole of the cam. the plastic washer and cup are at the bottom of the sheeve. know im trying to figure out why i just wont run good if i done add a little twist to her... but if the after market dont even have the tine. your saying it is just like the primary spring........again...hmmmm.....lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts