Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 mach z stock with all updates done,the sled will have polar shim kit with new head,and v force 3 reeds,just got dyno port trail pipes with canister.Have all the jetting and timing specs with the pipes,just need a little direction on initial clutching.Rpm should be around 8500 to 8600 Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
692 Posts
a friend has a clutch for sale used on a 98 mach z w/ dynos on it. made it a real trail rocket, and still had a good top on it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Folgers do you have any specs or could you maybe ask your buddy what he had in it??Did he have any problems with set up or pipes running cold??

·
Registered
692 Posts
ill check it out, i dont think he will give uo info on the clutch! you pay 3 to 400 for a good set up! hes a old ski doo oval racer and everything is kept under the sheets.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mr 670 It has stock 286 ramps,purple-teal spring,beige secondary,54-48 skidoo helix at 16 lbs.The sled is a mule and has had every clutch and gear combo under the sun,and a few different pipes.We have hopped up several and are going to give the dyno ports a try as they seem to give up a little rpm and top hp to keep some torque (on paper anyway)And Folgers as for getting info from tight lipped tech guys one word BEER

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
John I would start by using the 286 ramps a 200-380 spring, a straight 50 or 52 helix set at 18-20lbs and play with the pin weight to get the rpm you want. Is this a trail sled?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its sort of a (street-strip) thing,mostly trail ridden(when we have snow) but goes to 5 or 6 radar runs a winter,but only short runs of 1000 or 1320 feet.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
John doo you have access to any clutch springs or helix's to test with? The 98 mach z runs 27/43 gears maybe try 26/43.
27/43=1.59:1 thats a lot of gear.
26/43=1.65:1 might work better in the 1000ft run.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mr 670 I have a whole box full of springs,ramps,gears,chains etc.Id be willing to try any thing(except for what folgers is talking about) just trying to get in the ball park as winters dont seem long enough anymore to try everything in the box again>>Folgers my legs are not a pretty sight.....

·
Registered
361 Posts
john breedon, you could start with this setup, prim.- pink/white (230-380), 16.4g-19g, clicker @2or3, and 286 ramps. Sec.- beige, 50-44 or 50-47 cam set @ 18-21lbs. Gearing set @ 24-44 or 25-44. This setup should be good all around, providing hard accelleration and very good top end and still have good backshift for roll-ons.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Limskii, I think I have all of that stuff to try. That primary spring is the same one I used on my old 96 mach z for grass racing.Do you or have you tried a set up like this?? and if so what do you have done to your mach??What is your experience as far as back shifting, is it easier to back shift a big helix or is it easier with heavier primary pins??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts