Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come when Dyno tech dynoed their RX-1 and it only reported 137 HP all the bashers came out of the woodwork? If you go to their web site you'll find that they re-dynoed it and it reached 144 HP. Apparently one of the carbs wasn't opening all the way.

Where are the bashers now?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not surprised about that. All the guys I know in the bike industry have told me that there was never any doubt that motor produced 145 horses. they think its funny they are questioning its numbers in the snowmobile industry when the motor has proven itself so well in the bike industry (as far as horsepower goes). I have even heard some say with the way that bike goes they were surprised it didn't produce more. If there is no question there then why should it be questioned in the sled market? Its the same motor (as far as crank shaft power goes) and horse power is horse power regardless of what anyone has to say.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I guess you or any one can print what ever horsepower numbers you like .When the snow comes my cat is ready for battle here in Cape Breton,`cause thats when all this B.S. about his 4-Choker comes too an end down here . D.D.711v.s rx-1 Oh I forgot you guys are call it a trail sled now not a high perforance sled.........when the snow flies .......maybe I "ll eat crow but I can tell one thing its on my hit list win or lose ...will see how long those legs really are...we have miles and miles of 4-lane are far you can see and all the B.S. will stop......... :)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Originally posted by performancex@Nov 1 2002, 04:33 PM
Right. The only difference between the two motors should be air temperature.
Yup, and the colder, denser air will yield MORE power than warm, less dense air.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It is a trail sled, I don't think it was meant to race because if it were I'm sure they could add a bunch of HP with more weight but it is not needed. 4 strokes are quiet, smooth-running and eco-friendly - A perfect trail sled.

Now, most snowmobilers aren't stupid when it comes to money, they look at the numbers, the RX-1 costs more than most 2-strokes, weighs more and produces less HP. This topic is so frustrating that I have a very hard time trying to prove my point, but I have a few things to say.....

the RX-1 is not a performance sled, Yamaha may call it one but they lie, it is a pathetic replacement for the SRX performance wise, if you want a sled that you can race, buy a mach or a ZR9 or whatever polaris has, I think that if I had the money for one, I'd buy one, it will be a great trail sled, that's all In my opinion, if you bought a RX-1 to race in a stock forum, I wish you good luck, put a turbo on it and let'r rip!

I'm kinda venting and rambling so feel free to pick apart my post :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
I thought that it said it made the higher number only after they found one carb not right but also with an aftermarket(bender)high flow silencer??? maybe i read it wrong though

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The way I read it, they were gonna dyno it next with the different exaust. They wanted before and after readings for comparison.

Pathetic replacement for the SRX? What are you talking about? Stock for stock it beats the SRX. It's the well set-up (far from stock) SRX's that are beating it.
I just spoke with a guy from Alaska that confirmed it on the snow.

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you want to classify the Rx-1 as a trail sled you need to be a little more specific and say a "flat groomed trail sled" no way that thing is going to handle the bumps well.

I have a viper now and its on the heavy side when running in the bumps - with the additional weight of the RX-1 --- a rough trail is going to be a real workout!

But as a flat-trail-cruiser with some top end and good looks I think it will be hard to beat!

Good luck to all that bought them!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Mighty, I was talking about race-wise with mods, I've seen one beat an SRX (the RX-1 had studs and the SRX didn't) and I think the guy with the SRX tweaked his horribly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts