Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Looking to get a Safari for my fiance and have a few questions. This is what she wants and i know a few people who have one. Are these a good reliable sled? Do they ride nice? I see some are 2 up seat. One i found had a 377 motor in it and the other had a 467 liquid cooled? Can you swapp the liquid into the 377 chassis without modifications? Finally what should i pay for one in good shape? Thanks!

·
Registered
385 Posts
i have an 88safari 377. i paid 625 for it and it runs like a champ. starts on first full and pulls easily. the wife starts it no problem. they are very fun to ride.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Saffri was IMHO one of the most dependable sleds made by ski, they handle awsome, as far as putting LC engine in, I dont know but you will be working on your tunnell for sure. doo ski is right on I think 6-800 bux depending on condition.........keep the fan cooled eng if you can light, snappy, can run on any surface even when fairly warm.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree, Safaris w/ 377 run great. My cousin has 2 and ive been trying for two years for him to sell them to me! The two up that he has, has dual carbs, the other is a single. You would be doing tons of mods to fit a L/C motor into a chassis that wasnt originally set up for it. Not to say that it cant be done, as ive seen sleds like this on ebay. The 467 is very dependable too, i have an 88 Formula MX w/ the 470 2 plunges on the primer and 1 pull and its running.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do all 377 comes with dual for single carb? What is the top speed on one of these? Do they have any torque? Reason i ask is i know someone that has a 90 with a 377 i can buy cheap but i want something that is gonna have enough umphhh for my fiance or i might just continue my search for a Safari with the 467.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
do all 377 comes with dual for single carb? What is the top speed on one of these? Do they have any torque? Reason i ask is i know someone that has a 90 with a 377 i can buy cheap but i want something that is gonna have enough umphhh for my fiance or i might just continue my search for a Safari with the 467.[/b]

My '88 377 is a single carb, and it'll get down a trail as fast as you want to go....I have had it running around 70 m.p.h. on the speedo....

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
you are talking about a diferent sled then everyone that has answer you

They are talking about the super reliable LIGHTWEIGHT leaf sprung 84-92 Safari 377/Scout/Saga which are great little sleds I had 3

the sled you described above are the 90-94 Safari L series they have independent wish bone suspension front

Safari LC/GLX have the 462liquide single carb,GLX =2up/reverse

Safari L/LE 377 fan

Safari LX 447 fan

Safari Rally 503 fan

Reliable but HEAVY and handle like crap,and no good in deep snow

·
Registered
50 Posts
<<<<<Reliable but HEAVY and handle like crap,and no good in deep snow>>>>>

I agree no good whatsoever in the deep stuff and are very heavy and if you get it stuck in the slush well lets just say you won't have to go to the gym for the next week or two.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well if you say these are a heavy sled and handle like crap then I am not sure if this would be a good sled for my fiance. She doesnt have much experience. Anyone have other sugestions on what to get as a good beginers sled? She did like the looks of the Safari thats why we were sold on it but you guys are telling me its not a good sled. Not looking for anything new. Maybe 10 yrs or older.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm not saying that these are a bad sled just warning you that they are heavy and have a hard time off trail. If you stick mostly to trail riding then they are a decent sled for the age of them. If you can get one for a good price then I would say go for it. 377 even in this chassis has enough power for 1 person to tour around alright and you won't bust the bank at the pumps.

·
Registered
252 Posts
you might think about a late 90's formula 380.my daughter rides one of these and she is 12 years old.she does off trail when she follows dad lol.she has never had it stuck and it seems to have alot of power.i have tried it out a few times,i'm 220 and it does a great job.the suspension is soft,and it's pretty lite.my daughter weighs about 70 pounds soaking wet,and she can handle and manover it like a pro. we got the 99 for 1700 bucks and it was in mint condition.just my 2 cents :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
To be honest

a great sled for you fiance would be a 91-95 Indy Sport 440

It should be in the same price range

If not a 95 and up Formula S 380(377)

·
Registered
385 Posts
well if you say these are a heavy sled and handle like crap then I am not sure if this would be a good sled for my fiance. She doesnt have much experience. Anyone have other sugestions on what to get as a good beginers sled? She did like the looks of the Safari thats why we were sold on it but you guys are telling me its not a good sled. Not looking for anything new. Maybe 10 yrs or older.[/b]
THE 377 FAN SAHARI IS A PERFECT SLED FOR THE FIANCE. STARTS EASY, SOES ABOUT 70 AND IS LIGHTWEIGHT.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok thanks for all the replys guys. I will see what she wants to do. Maybe I"ll look for a indy sport. I heard some great things about them.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
THE 377 FAN SAHARI IS A PERFECT SLED FOR THE FIANCE. STARTS EASY, SOES ABOUT 70 AND IS LIGHTWEIGHT.[/b]
NOT if it is in the 90-94 Safari L chassis

the 84-92 Safari 377/Scout is 380lbs

the 90-94 Safari L 377 is roughly 500lbs

BIG dif

·
Registered
252 Posts
freezer is correct the 90 to 94's were a heavy sled my buddy has one.but i will say this they are bullet proof with the 377,they are like the energizer bunny they keep going and going and going.very reliable sled,but heavy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok thanks for all the replys guys. I will see what she wants to do. Maybe I"ll look for a indy sport. I heard some great things about them.[/b]
I might as well add my two cents worth...I have an older 93 Formula MX that I think is about the same size as the one you are looking for....but it is heavy, a dog on fuel, turns in powder are not that great without a lot of body movement and when she decides to slide sideways ...you better be ready for a fast response. It runs flawlessly though, starts on first pull, lots of power, top end of around110-120 kms per hour....but compared to my wife's new Freestyle 300 it is indeed heavy. The Freestyle we decided to keep after winning it from a local dealer as we have two smaller kids that I know couldn't handle the MX. If the freestyle had the 550 fan engine I think it would make a great all around machine...light, easy to steer, easy to maneuver in powder....I can do things on it the MX could never do...turn on a dime and be gone before the old MX would start to cut in and turn. But with all that said you have to look at what your needs are, budget, etc....for us if we were buying an new sled it would most likely be a two up touring of some sort as the kids love riding too.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I might as well add my two cents worth...I have an older 93 Formula MX that I think is about the same size as the one you are looking for....but it is heavy, a dog on fuel, turns in powder are not that great without a lot of body movement and when she decides to slide sideways ...you better be ready for a fast response. It runs flawlessly though, starts on first pull, lots of power, top end of around110-120 kms per hour....but compared to my wife's new Freestyle 300 it is indeed heavy. The Freestyle we decided to keep after winning it from a local dealer as we have two smaller kids that I know couldn't handle the MX. If the freestyle had the 550 fan engine I think it would make a great all around machine...light, easy to steer, easy to maneuver in powder....I can do things on it the MX could never do...turn on a dime and be gone before the old MX would start to cut in and turn. But with all that said you have to look at what your needs are, budget, etc....for us if we were buying an new sled it would most likely be a two up touring of some sort as the kids love riding too.[/b]
i was thinking about getting a freestyle 550 fan for myself, but havent read anything about it though. cant find any used ones or know anyone that has one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts