Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was bidding on a 136 rail and tunnel extension and i was winning for the last 4 hours (been bidding on it for 3 days) and even but in a maxium bid (keeps adding moneyfor you) 23 second before ending and at 7 second a guy outbid me. i tried to but in a bid to win the didnt have time. makes me so angery to be scewed like that. its so much better just calling people up and making a deal, to BS or crap just a good old deal. :cussing:

·
10,054 Posts
happens all the time,,, welcome to ebay,,, he was probably using some sort of snipe software,,, I know people have used it against me and I finally decided to try it myself. Every item that I have sniped, I have won,,, sure beats having to sit there waiting and wondering,,,

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
id rather go to a real auction anyway they are a lot of fun. the dad and i go to a bunch just for the fun of it and usaully end up with a bunch of stuff we just turn around and sell in two weeks. we are weird, we just like buying and selling stuff i guess. 7 pickups in one weeks would have to be the most interesting time ever. we made 5 grand by the time we were done though

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
i was bidding on a 136 rail and tunnel extension and i was winning for the last 4 hours (been bidding on it for 3 days) and even but in a maxium bid (keeps adding moneyfor you) 23 second before ending and at 7 second a guy outbid me. i tried to but in a bid to win the didnt have time. makes me so angery to be scewed like that. its so much better just calling people up and making a deal, to BS or crap just a good old deal. :cussing:[/b]
been there done that

its a #### off as you are the highest bidder til thelast 30minutes or so and someone starts a bidding higher and higher

once I realize the guy keeps on beating my bids each time I bid saying 6-8 times

I ramp up the prices and pull off with 1minute

Its a game some play and I do not like to play nice when it seems someone #@*% with you

·
Registered
230 Posts
personally I hate e-bay. Its so full of scams that it isn't even worth it anymore. With sniper programs, and friends playing along bidding up items so a bidding war starts, then some will get sucked into it not even realizing they just paid more than retail for an item they have never seen. I like to deal face to face when I can.

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
I usually just put in my max bid from the start .if I win I got it for a great price and if I loose then it went for more than I am willing to pay[/b]
I put in my max bid with 10 seconds left. I dont like to give someone the time to rethink their max bid.

my rule of thumb is the item including shipping has to be 20% less then any sale price I have seen. If I add up all the money I have saved thus far it would take some pretty big scams to get me in the red. 2gig scan disk SD card with jump drive for $21, you just cant beat that.

·
10,054 Posts
I also check who I am bidding against,,,, I like it when you have one guy that keeps bidding you up and then you realize that he has also won 20 or 30 other auctions from the same guy,,,, then you realize well its either the same person with 2 accounts or buddies,,, I have sent messages to the guy selling letting him know that I am onto his scam and if he doesnt quit raising the bid on me, I would contact ebay with all the info,,, This fellow was out of California and he ended up ending the auction, asked for a phone number as he wanted to make it right,,,, then ended up getting the unit for what I had originally bid and he covered shipping,,,, he lost his tail on it but he had been around ebay for a while and somebody else had probably complained and he had already been warned by ebay once. I was a 400$ retail car stereo piece that I was wanting because they are not made anymore and my original bid was 50$,,,, he had ran me up over 200$ when I sent the note and then ended up giving it to me for the 50$!!!!! Guess he didnt want to send anything in writing and leave a paper trail as he figured I would still go to ebay,,,, I should have but just enjoyed my savings,,,, so watch what your doing out there because there are good deals available,,,

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
personally I hate e-bay. Its so full of scams that it isn't even worth it anymore. With sniper programs, and friends playing along bidding up items so a bidding war starts, then some will get sucked into it not even realizing they just paid more than retail for an item they have never seen. I like to deal face to face when I can.[/b]
What I hate about it is all the deals seem to be south of the border!!! Really ticks me off when I see what cars, trucks, sleds and even tractors go for :cussing:

Bend over, I AM CANADIAN!!

Yeah I know, we've got health care :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I usually just put in my max bid from the start .if I win I got it for a great price and if I loose then it went for more than I am willing to pay[/b]
Thats what I do also!! Sucks sometimes when you only loose by a $1 but you got to stick to your guns with the max that you are willing to pay.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Nah, the best deals come from overseas... if it's electronics. I've been purchasing things from Hong Kong that didn't even exist in north america yet until 5 years later (when Radio Shack introduced a 3 LED flashlight for the very first time, I had owned a 21 LED flashlight for 5 years; I paid a lot less too). I owned one of those shakeable flashlights a year before they were available on the shelves too, then again, I do live in Newfie-land... we're 20 years behind as it is :crazy:

I do the same thing though: unless it's hard to find and I really really want it, I simply place my maximum bid (typically 50% retail) and if I lose, then it means I wasn't meant to spend my money on it anyway (with electronics, wait a year and it's 50% off anyway). But if it's something that's hard to find, then I'll wait until the last 10 seconds before bidding. Note: high speed internet required. LOL.

I bought a mini-chopper off a guy 2 years ago, and the same guy was winning them all. But when I noticed he was going after a gold one, and there were two gold ones available at the same time, I kept bidding on one but not the other. By the time the first one was over, he ended up paying retail, and by the time he finished finalizing it, I had placed one bid in on the other gold one, and got it at 15% retail. Sweet or what??? :D

I hate sniper programs. Anyone who uses them should have their balls cut off... :D j/k. But you will ruin it for all "true" eBayers. At least the honest ones. Sniper programs are another problem that can result in people not using eBay and limiting themselves to buying things in person... actually I'm leaning that way myself. If it is a scam, for the most part, you are not covered anyway. Dad got tangled up with someone who was scamming people, and eBay or Paypal would do nothing, but pay $200US minus $25 administration fees. In other words: if you're caught in a scam, you're only covered for $175 anyway. Good luck if your purchase was more than that. You're only other option is court. So yeah... buy in person. If it's mechanics, you'll want to inspect it before buying anyway, wouldn't you? The only exception I would have to this is buying something that is old or rare, and you don't care what condition it is in because you'll be doing it up anyway.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I just wanted to add: that really nice coverage that Paypal offers is only if the transaction gets intercepted. In other words: you got charged more than you were supposed to. If the transaction is complete, they cover nothing as it was a successful transaction and not a fraudulant one. In yet more words: it's only to assure you that it is safe to use Paypal. You're not covered for the purchases you make, only the actual transaction itself.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have a Cat tunnel ext for sale. It's used, but I just had it powdercoated in January.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Thats what I do also!! Sucks sometimes when you only loose by a $1 but you got to stick to your guns with the max that you are willing to pay.[/b]
I too have had some issues with dead beats on Ebay the latest one was a purchase of a P4 dual core CPU which arrived cracked and non functioning. I reported back to the seller who never replied so I contacted some of the other winners of the multiple item auction and they had been given the same story. After many attempts to contact the seller I finally lost patience and contacted Ebay directly and explained the whole matter. They gave me his personal email address and I started an email campaign with help of the other ripped off buyers. He finally agreed to reimburse everyone (about 250 a person) then suddenly dissapeared. I contacted my internet service provider and located his ISP and address in London England. I asked my brother who lives in London to pay him a visit and lets say he was very sorry and gave us our money back. Too bad not all dead beats get caught.

·
10,054 Posts
I dont like the snipper programs either but in my opinion, if everyone else is gonna use them and I am getting nabbed at the end, then I might as well use them to my advantage also. It isnt against ebay rules,,, I am allowed to bid 1 second from the end of the auction whether it is me, my wife, my neighbor, or my cousin,,,, as long as it comes through my account, I have the binding contract and when I pay, then receive the product, no laws were broken.

Guess its the old "if you cant beat them, join them" feeling.

·
Registered
306 Posts
What I hate about it is all the deals seem to be south of the border!!! Really ticks me off when I see what cars, trucks, sleds and even tractors go for :cussing:

Yeah I know, we've got health care :confused: :confused:[/b]
And better Beer!!! :inlove:

·
Registered
281 Posts
When I bid I figure out the MAX amount I want to pay, then enter it with 10 seconds left. If I lose, it's no big deal as it's more than I want to pay. Still better when I win though :D Of course, I have lost auctions because my internet or computer has crashed at the last second, but that's the nature of the beast. :crazy:

·
Registered
230 Posts

Yeah I know, we've got health care :confused: :confused:[/b]
Yeah do we ever pay for it too!
Canadas market is just too small for many good deals. But heh our dollar goes farther now so good for us.
The boat market has a huge price gap from US$ to CAN$

1 - 19 of 19 Posts