Snowmobile World banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm receiving some questions that I think should be answered in this forum. They are general in nature, and I believe that others are most likely having some trouble too. I don't mind answering these questions at all - but if I can kill two birds with one stone here, it saves writing individual reponses many times.

Please, if you have something to add - do it. We can all learn.

So, starting with the front end first-

Edge and Extra-10 setup are virtually the same

You need to get the sled set up with no weight on the front skis first. Then adjust the front spring tension so that they are snug - but only to the point where you can pull them up off the adjusting collar with one hand without too much trouble. After that, resist the temptation to tighten them unless you are bottoming out all the time. Too stiff encourages inside ski lift/front end pounding.

Middle shock is next. With no weight on the suspension, the spring should be set with enough tension so that it doesn't rattle. No more. This is the one that can be messed with for your own comfort level. It controls steering pressure. The more tension here, the less ski pressure. Set the way I've recomended can be pretty heavy/touchy steering. Try it this way first so you get a baseline. Then go from here. It should do well in the corners, but may be too much in the straights, maybe a little darty. I prefer a no questions asked policy when going into a corner, will take what I get in the darting dept. as a trade off for that. Too each there own.

Leave the limiter strap all the way out for starters. Pulling in on this limits expensive suspension travel. It's best left for last resort adjustment of wierdness.

Rear - I have no idea of what you weigh, and your riding style. Start with setting the spring tension so you have a 4" difference in the height of the rear bumper with you on/off the sled. If you are not able to do that, holler, you aren't alone. There are adjustments the manuals don't mention to help out - without changing springs. From there is a matter of setting coupler blocks for coupling and weight transfer. Be glad to help with that, but need more info about you.

Don't be shy!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Originally posted by michahicks@Jan 4 2005, 07:20 AM
I'm receiving some questions that I think should be answered in this forum. They are general in nature, and I believe that others are most likely having some trouble too. I don't mind answering these questions at all - but if I can kill two birds with one stone here, it saves writing individual reponses many times.

You need to get the sled set up with no weight on the front skis first. Then adjust the front spring tension so that they are snug - but only to the point where you can pull them up off the adjusting collar with one hand without too much trouble. After that, resist the temptation to tighten them unless you are bottoming out all the time. Too stiff encourages inside ski lift/front end pounding.

Middle shock is next. With no weight on the suspension, the spring should be set with enough tension so that it doesn't rattle. No more. This is the one that can be messed with for your own comfort level. It controls steering pressure. The more tension here, the less ski pressure. Set the way I've recomended can be pretty heavy/touchy steering. Try it this way first so you get a baseline. Then go from here. It should do well in the corners, but may be too much in the straights, maybe a little darty. I prefer a no questions asked policy when going into a corner, will take what I get in the darting dept. as a trade off for that. Too each there own.

Leave the limiter strap all the way out for starters. Pulling in on this limits expensive suspension travel. It's best left for last resort adjustment of wierdness.

Rear - I have no idea of what you weigh, and your riding style. Start with setting the spring tension so you have a 4" difference in the height of the rear bumper with you on/off the sled. If you are not able to do that, holler, you aren't alone. There are adjustments the manuals don't mention to help out - without changing springs. From there is a matter of setting coupler blocks for coupling and weight transfer. Be glad to help with that, but need more info about you.

Don't be shy!
[snapback]383955[/snapback]​
Thanks you have started some of us down the right road in setting these suspensions up. Seems like the dealers should do this from the start when you buy a sled from them.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pete,
I think some of the dealers try. The problems start when the sled isn't working to your satisfaction and you start tweaking on this and that. Pretty soon you've lost your baseline/reference point. I think that's what took me the longest to figure out. Where the heck that point was/should be and how to easily get back to it. From there, it's just a bunch of messing around. Good luck, don't be shy.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Don't be shy!
I know this is a old post, but I just got my first 2001 xc800 sp and am looking for help setting it up. It’s actually my first sled all together. Your post is very informative and would definitely appreciate any help. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts