Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a edge x 600, I ride very agressive and find I keep snaping trail arms and then I end up twisting everyhting else up when i rip them up... I was wondering the pro x 2s had the heavier trail arms heres what I want to do can it be done??

I want to put pro x 2 trail arms and radius rods on my 03 edge x with front and rear walker evans shcoks.. now what will i need to do to accomplish this all i should have to change is my front radius rod support or does that even have to be changed some advise would be really handy thanks.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I'm not all that sure the ProX hardware is all that much sturdier than the Edge stuff? Quite a chunk of change for all the parts you'll need - not to mention the shocks. Seems like there's also a problem with the angle of the rear trailing arm mount being different. You'd likely have to rig something up there also.

Have to wonder if all the time and money to do this would really gain you anything. Money may be better spent getting some good springs and valving the shocks for the type of riding you do - and stay away from he trees/railroad tracks/rocks that tear up the trailing arms.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
this will work but as the sound of it you should just upgrade to a full pro chassis, they are much stronger and made to take lots more abuse.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes but what will a pro chassis run me for $ and a pro chassis will not include shocks... i can get right and left had pro x trail arms for $148.15each and upper and lower radius rods are 35.37 a set and the walker evan shocks are 336.97 a piece all usd.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
just pmd you but im talking buy a prox, the whole thing. its way worth the money. you can get a prox 600 and 03 or 04 for less then you think and you will have good shocks, stronger chassis, higher handlebars which i make even higher. they are a few suspension thing that i can help you with to make the thing ride 10 times better then an edge. i know a guy that has a 03 prox 600 ill see what he want for it because he is trying to sell it anyways if you are interested.

here are a few pics of my two proxr's. they are great sleds.
both sleds are getting more mods this summer too. if you like aggressive rinding, pro is the way to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just pmd you but im talking buy a prox, the whole thing. its way worth the money. you can get a prox 600 and 03 or 04 for less then you think and you will have good shocks, stronger chassis, higher handlebars which i make even higher. they are a few suspension thing that i can help you with to make the thing ride 10 times better then an edge. i know a guy that has a 03 prox 600 ill see what he want for it because he is trying to sell it anyways if you are interested.

here are a few pics of my two proxr's. they are great sleds.
both sleds are getting more mods this summer too. if you like aggressive rinding, pro is the way to go.[/b]
Here is my edge x done quite a bit to it now i m gonna have to buy oem muffler if I want to race it... I would be more interested in a pro x with the walker evan shocks but ya let me know about the pro x... if i get the pro x might not make it to any races this yr will be spending alot of time trying to get it running tip top my timing and everything is changed in this edge. and i got the biggest handle bar riser you can get from polaris on it,, everyone that goes to get it polaris says they have never made one that big but i bought it right off the shelf lol. here is my lemon.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
the length of the arms is different on the prox. the radius rod placement is also different. why not weld a piece of angle to the bottom of the arm like we do for enduros? or get your stuff set up right and learn how to land without hurting the sled. agree with mhicks on the valving. have you considered revalving your shocks?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the length of the arms is different on the prox. the radius rod placement is also different. why not weld a piece of angle to the bottom of the arm like we do for enduros? or get your stuff set up right and learn how to land without hurting the sled. agree with mhicks on the valving. have you considered revalving your shocks?[/b]
I m a welder but why bother welding on a peice of angle kinda looks liek crap then and i was also thinking of changing the trail arms and radius rods because they are built stronger than the edge x arms and rods. and i wanted to shorten it up a little bit more. I have been riding sleds since i can remember, I have only broke one trail arm from landing wrong that was 6 yrs ago, everytime i have broke one this yr which was 3. was cross country racing from estevan to kenosee lake.
1st time i hit and approch wide open 100 mph approx busted the bolt in rear of the trail arm trail arm got bend,,
2nd time hit a hard drift, hit top of anther drift and launched it into another bigger drift also wide open cracked shaft where sprindle goes into trail arm
3rd time wide open again hit really big hard drift welds broke where aluminum shaft is welded in under foot bracket. also before landing so dont tell me im not landing properly.

and yes I m revalaving these shocks and putting in stiffer springs if i do not go to walker evan shocks. as for having my stuff set up right i work on my sled everytime i ride, I have been getting ronny stropko and les mclenahan 2 guys that used to race in the uscc helping me set my sleds up. so i m pretty sure my sled set up is pretty good.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
sounds like you got it all figured out them. if you dont, read on.

drop the edge x thing, its just an edge with stickers. the pro x chassis is totally different. shocks mount to the arms differently radius rods are different and the length is around 3" shorter. you cant use shorter arms without moving your steering shafts, upper shock mounts and radius rod mounts. if you dont youll have bump steer like crazy. if you think you can weld you should be able to make them look good. if you cant send me your arms and ill do them with a buddy discount. our trailing arms have made it through 4 soo I-500's. im in martin, MI. if you would like i can take a pic of an edge arm and gen 2 and prox all together, then youll see what im saying.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm I dont think I need anyone to do anywelding for me as i have already had to weld up cracks on my trail arms and last time i checked noone does any of my welds for me at work and if they did i m pretty sure they wouldnt be paying me 48 an hr to stand around thanx for the offer though but i think i can cut it.and i was going to change my radius rod mounts.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
sled_neck4life - I agree with timespent. You're on the wrong sled. You need a tank.

Seriously, if you're actually driving like that, you're going to break parts. Doesn't make much difference what you are on. Timespent does have a legitimate point. There's a good chance the difference between the selling price of your sled, and the purchase price of a ProX, is less than what you're talking to do what you asked about. Pro is not likely the perfect answer though. They're usually better known for play in tighter areas.

Neatly done/painted with a little craftmanship, the reinforced trailing arms are hardly noticable to the untrained eye.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
sled_neck4life - I agree with timespent. You're on the wrong sled. You need a tank.

Seriously, if you're actually driving like that, you're going to break parts. Doesn't make much difference what you are on. Timespent does have a legitimate point. There's a good chance the difference between the selling price of your sled, and the purchase price of a ProX, is less than what you're talking to do what you asked about. Pro is not likely the perfect answer though. They're usually better known for play in tighter areas.

Neatly done/painted with a little craftmanship, the reinforced trailing arms are hardly noticable to the untrained eye.[/b]
to make a point here and i could get a few dozen guys to back me up here, a well setup prox chassis handle better in the big stuff then any iq (besides and iqr) setup can. a proxr setup with better shocks and a little skid work and relocation has better weight tranfer, less body roll, better traction, and can take far more abuse. the best thing to any other chassis the prox has going for it is that it is more adjustable then any other chassis. and the thing can take being abused over and over and still be ok.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes I know what you are all saying and i agree with time spent aslo. I just was thinking about doing this to the edge to give me something to do for the summer as i will not sell it at this point. have way to much invested into it this yr so i m going to keep it for a couple more just for a trail sled or keep it to race at kenossee lake on the trails. I m leaning toward getting a pro xr 600 but it is just finding one and throwing one of my checks toward it whats a pro xr worth now? i havent even really looked around yet.. was gonna buy the new dragon but i bought 2 truck this yr and spent over 20 000 on my yj. so the budget wasnt there for the dragon. if you guys know anyone sellin a pro xr let me know would preffer for it to be in canada. less hassle with customs then those losers:mad:

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Don't get your dander up there timespent. We're saying the same thing. I agree the Pro is better handling in the tighter stuff - but the longer wheelbase, better approach angles on the skid give might give the advantage to the Edge for the higher speed cross country work - IMHO.

As far as adjustable, maybe you could tell what the Pro has for adjustments that might not be found/won't work on an Edge....other than the shocks.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
at the soo 500, which at lap 300 is pretty much a cross country race, the gen 2s always do really well. you could get a gen 2 for $2000, drop an ev 600 in it, and kick butt.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Don't get your dander up there timespent. We're saying the same thing. I agree the Pro is better handling in the tighter stuff - but the longer wheelbase, better approach angles on the skid give might give the advantage to the Edge for the higher speed cross country work - IMHO.

As far as adjustable, maybe you could tell what the Pro has for adjustments that might not be found/won't work on an Edge....other than the shocks.[/b]
they just have a lot more holes in the rear skid to move things around. yes the edge is very adjustable but the prox just in like a overmod of an edge.

you may have a harder time finding a proxr 600. these are all modded race chassises. you may very well be able to find a prox2 or a moded prox that is about the same. the really only large different between a prox and an xr is the steering post and the shocks, the xr also has a little more reenforments. as for prices, your looking somewhere around 2500 to 4000 depending on condition, thats US dollars to.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
my 2 cents

ProX trailing arms are shorter and will not fit,so don't even bother

best bet

Use angle iron and weld on the Edge IFS

If you get a good welder you can make it look good and be strong

OR

sell the sled and get one built for extreme use

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea but I dont think I will sell it I could always just get one built money in no concern really.. oilfield is booming right now and I got work coming from everywhere If I could get a little more work and get a couple more guys hierd i would definitly be building my own becuase then I would have some time... just thought I would see what you guys would sey about swapping some pro x stuff in so then i could give my mechanic something to do on his slow days. but ya if I end up bending another trail arm ill be only riding it hard on the trails. and no more cross counrty races with it. i would just liek to get one more yr out of it as i have just rebuit it from ground up pretty much only thing i didnt change was one idler wheel so far lol. but once it gets closer to winter again here and i can get some time off I will be looking for a pro x or x2. if not i might just roll the edge for one more yr and then get into it bigger next yr, and hopefully getta ride with u guys some time... not sure if i will I m up by noonan nd.

ps I had a gen 2 with twin hot seat pipes clutched 192 woodies picks mbrp can spent hrs tweeking on carbs for fuel air mixture.. got it set to the best of its ability and the edge had a little more one i was done tweeking with it and the edge only had single pipe no clutch kit etc. so i booted the gen 2 about half way though the season there.. also wasnt as nice of a ride but thats just what i got not saying any of you are wrong.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts