Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what would change by going down to 8 tooth drivers from the stock 9 tooth on the 700 mxz?

Is it compared to gearing down or up?

Will it gain or lose top speed?

Will it gain or lose in acceleration?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I Think you would lose top speed and gain acceleration. Why not just regear? It's cheaper and alot easier, I spent $20 and dropped the top gear down on my '01 mxz 700 and it made a huge difference in acceleration, It lost very little top endmaybe 3-5mph once you hit 100 whats the difference. Unless your doing radar runs.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It would be like gearing down, you would lose top end, it would be the same as putting smaller tire's on your car.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I did that on a 92 Mach for running longer studs. I lost top end. Mr670 is correct. I never tried gearing up after I installed the 8 tooth drivers.

·
Registered
900 Posts
As far as I know people usually only change sprockets in order to allow more clearance with the bulkhead to put on a deeper lug track or maybe studs. Steve

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
We have had some debates on this before and no one has "really" come up with an honest answer yet.
My theory is a smaller sproket like a smaller bottom gear will make you go faster? Smaller top gear slower top speed.
Look at a dirt bike, they have a huge rear sproket for hill climbing and low end grunt. Same goes for a snowmobile, bigger bottom sproket lower gearing more grunt.
So does this all change when were talking where the track or tire is actually connected???

·
Registered
678 Posts
Mikadoo: You need to look at the track spocket more like the top gear. If it's smaller it has to go around more times for each revolution of the track, this will reduce your top speed.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Changing your drive sprockets would be a hell of alot more work.

·
Registered
678 Posts
You have to look at it as two seperate pully systems, the drive sprocket will always turn the same number of revs. as the bottom gear. Changing the track sprocket will have no effect on how fast the bottom gear turns, but it will turn the track at a different speed. Changing the gears in the chaincase will change the speed the bottom gear turns in relation to the top, but the track sprocket eill still spin the same revs. as the bottom gear.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Do a gear change,its faster,easier and less agravating than pulling the drive out. :devil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts