Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes i know to some of you this may sound rather... stupid.. but i dont know and want to learn.. how do you tell if a sled is efi or carb and what is the differences

thanks
SledStupid

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
look at the stickers on the hood .......and if all else fails look at the back of the engine and if its carb you will see carbs and if its efi you will see a fuel rail . EFI is good and reliable if you just want to ride and have 90% performance and fuel economy all the time. Carb sleds are nice if you want to tinker around and play with jetting from time to time or want to mod it .

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Well your going to have to know what your looking for to notice the diffrence.  Since you asked the question i am going to assume that you dont know what a carb looks like.  

The easiest way is to see if the machine has a choke.  If it doesnt then its probably efi.  It also helps if the machine is made by Arctic Cat since there the only one that makes a EFI sled.

And it would probably say EFI on the sled somewere.

·
Registered
530 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Machzzzz1 @ Sep. 09, 2002, 11:31pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well your going to have to know what your looking for to notice the diffrence.  Since you asked the question i am going to assume that you dont know what a carb looks like.  

The easiest way is to see if the machine has a choke.  If it doesnt then its probably efi.  It also helps if the machine is made by Arctic Cat since there the only one that makes a EFI sled.

And it would probably say EFI on the sled somewere.[/b][/quote]
Well not all sleds have a choke.  As you probably know Ski-Doos had a Primer until at least 97, maybe some 98s did.  I just wanted to clear that up, so he didnt think that would change it from being a carb.  But yeah, it should have some sort of EFI sticker on it.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yeah your right.  Even some DPM skidoos have the choke hidden inside the cowl.  Totally forgot about the primers.

·
Registered
756 Posts
'99GTSE's had no manual enrichment at all, only the DPM. 2000's had the choke under the hood.

A

·
0 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sled-head @ Sep. 09, 2002, 11:30pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">look at the stickers on the hood .......and if all else fails look at the back of the engine and if its carb you will see carbs and if its efi you will see a fuel rail . EFI is good and reliable if you just want to ride and have 90% performance and fuel economy all the time. Carb sleds are nice if you want to tinker around and play with jetting from time to time or want to mod it .[/b][/quote]
You can't always go by stickers on the hood.  I replaced my tunnel with one from a 96 ZR580 EFI so there is an EFI sticker on the tunnel.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Some clues... EFI stickers, on board computers, fuel rails, fuel injectors, throttle position sensor, throttle bodies, probably an arctic cat, hood is always down, sled is in the front of the pack.

Just kidding on the last two.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
And if its like my old 580 EFI, the sled will almost always be parked at the gas station.

FishHog

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well this is what i know its is a 1992 ArcticCat Ext and it starts real good but it has a choke and  i dont knwo what efi looks like or carb i have only been sleddin for a few years now and i am still gettin ot know the machines does anyone have a picture of what eif would look like again carb?  there are no stickers on it   but some have fallen off

1 - 14 of 14 Posts