Snowmobile World banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
My boots on my '97 batteryless efi 86'd at about 3300 miles.  I'm with Mopar4U... What's up with boots rotting period.  I've seen plenty of 15-20 yer old boots with life to spare on other sleds.

· Registered
227 Posts
do the old cat 700's have the same problem because if they do then it probably has something to do with the vibration or motor-mount flex under acceleration but i havnt heard of people having the same problem with the 700's just the 580's

· Registered
8 Posts
??? I also have a 97 zr 580 EFI batt less. I just bought  and before I get into everyting I want to thank the people who helped me with the weired things that happen to this sled causing engine damage etc . I bought the sled not knowing that the intake boots were twarn on the bottom under the clamps. THank God I checked. Pistons and need replacment at around 3000- 4k.  I also talked to my dealer and he told me artic cat does not have a materal fix for this besides replacement of the boots . I like the sled so far but have not ridden it yet this year.

· Registered
21 Posts
Lots of good comments.
I have had a 580 EFI and now have 500 and 600 EFIs.  I love EFI.
I noticed that when my son rides them, there is backfiring.  I agree with the comment that before shutting them off, let them idle down.  Also, no need to give it throttle when starting, let the EFI do the work.
I like the batteryless EFI the best.
Actually, the only reason I think the 500 has a battery is because of the electric start, not the EFI.  I can pull start the 500 without using the electric start and it works the same as my 600...one pull to charge up and another pull to start.

· Registered
351 Posts
The boot thing is off of the EFI topic, but here is what I know about the boots.  It has more to do with the age of them than the mileage.  My 98 zert needed replaced in 00.  A friend just bought a 97 trip 600 and they needed replaced.  And a few others I heard of.  I think I will make a practice of checking them from now on every year.  On my zert, they also just slipped over the carbs and would leak, I put wire ties on them to seal it up.  A good way to check is a tip I saw on another post.  I think it said to let the sled idle, the spray some starting fluid or gas in a spay bottle next to the boots.  I the engine speeds up, you have a leak.  Good luck to all.

Oh, and I definetly think EFI is the way to go.  In the 6-8 sleds I ride with. one is EFI with no problems in over 2000 miles.  My next sled will be EFI.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.