Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a never ending list of efi sleds with running issues this season, mostly older sleds but theres been a fair number of '02's as well. My only experience with efi on a sled was a '98 ZR-600 that I kept for only a short time due to never ending running issues that the dealer could never fix. With the increased cost of their initial purchase and given the complexity of fixing them, are EFI sleds a bad deal? My '02 ZR 800 carb starts in 2-3 pulls cold and almost always first pull hot, it isn't bothered by warmer weather and gets amazing mileage, so wheres the benefit? Certainly saying that because an efi starts on the second pull cold can't be enough to justify the expense and potential for service issues.
What do you think?

Rick.
:cool:

·
10,054 Posts
Rick, I have about 1700 of the firecat and I love the efi,,,, havent had any issues thus far. I like the 2 pulls and shes started,,,, I have seen quite a few posts in here with efi problems though,,,,

not me,,,I only post with zrt and zr120 problems!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
thanx again zr sled head (cool name..ha)i would have to agree with you on the carb/efi issue. although i didn't have a choice with my zr 500, i would have purchased the carb version even if i had a choice. efi can be real good if you are changing alt. and temp often, less time wrenching more time riding. the earlier versions of the battery-less efi certainly had their issues but i really think the newer versions have come a long way. maybe in a few more years they will have it down to a science, i think they are real close though. i've even had some guys tell me to stay away from the older efi's if i were to buy a used sled.old school i guess , wrenching carbs is part of sledding!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The reason I'm an EFI guy is because My ride time is precious. I have to travel at least 7 hours to ride. I also like performance. If I show up on a trip and it's 35 degrees I'm riding if its -20 I'm riding. Do I wanna run pig rich or burndown lean? NO. Do I wanna rejet in the hotel parking lot? No. I'm always jetted for conditions with EFI. Even with trouble the limp mode will get you home. It will run 50mph in limp. It is more complex and expensive when stuff goes bad. But burndowns aren't cheap either. That's why I ride them. Now there are some things out that work without EFI though. Doo has that DPM thing, Poo and Yammi have good Det. technology.Tempa flow is a good alternative.So the margin is narrowing.But if Cat would put exhaust gas temp. sensing as a parameter for the EFI. It would be unstoppable for safety, perf., and milage. JMO

·
Registered
980 Posts
I love my EFI, cris performance all the time and a light throttle pull.
Wish they made the system a little more diagnosable.
I have actually had to use automotive diagnostic scopes to diagnose my EFI problem, think I have finally found it, did a current ramp on the timing coil and the coil is saturating way to fast, resistance tests alittle out of spec. - too bad its $117.00 american.
How about Palm Scan software for the Arctic Cat ECM's?
Vman

·
Registered
743 Posts
8 years and about 5000 miles of riding an EFI machine and never had any issues. I'll always buy EFI!

·
Registered
180 Posts
im with you vman
the only lacking area is diagnostics!!!

but other than that my 925 efi runs great and haven't had much problem

jim

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have 5100 miles now on my EFI ZL 600 with zero problems. Has always started on the first or 2nd... or maybe the 3rd pull but have never had to tune anything. No fouling plugs, flooding the carbs, changing jets.... I just now changed my plugs recently from the beginning of last season as well. I've barrel-rolled it, endoed it, and it has always started right back up!

Unless I come across an incredible deal, I'll never go carb again.

One more thing, bad news travels much faster than good news [like pulling that cord once and sitting there idling while you wait for your buddy yanking on his carbed machine]

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Originally posted by Snowcatr@Feb 12 2004, 10:45 AM
One more thing, bad news travels much faster than good news [like pulling that cord once and sitting there idling while you wait for your buddy yanking on his carbed machine]
:withstupid: Theres a big reason why there seems to be so many problems, we all post when we have a problem so the majority of the post will be problems. I did also notice a fair number of sleds with running problems and EFI, but also look at the number of post about carb tuning. We now have 2 sleds with EFI in our group, a 2004 T660 and 2003 Firecat 700, both are new sleds and haven't had any problems. As far as I'm concerned EFI is the way to go and my next sled will have EFI. No worries about jetting and always a perfect burn, crisp throtle response, light throtle pull and 2nd pull starts. Just my 0.02 SWRules

·
Registered
508 Posts
1st gen efi, no problems. There is a self diagnosing tool built right into my computer (the flashing red light). Agree that if Cat could somehow formulate a oxygen sensor that would be the ultimate.

·
10,054 Posts
I really have to agree with snowcatr,,,,seems that when things are working good, you never hear about it, but let it break down and lots of people know

·
Registered
575 Posts
Can't go wrong with an EFI I have 3000 miles on my ZR600 and it is great. I love the two pull startes when it is cold and half pulls starts when she is warm. Not to mention the easy throttle pressure saves on the sore thumbs. I don't think I will ever get a carb.

·
10,054 Posts
hey zrsledhead,,,,, I was sitting in the garage tonight, looking over the zrt and this post came to mind. I do really like the efi, but if something goes wrong, what do you do??? On the zrt, I can pull the carbs, yank em apart, clean em, put em back together and make it run,,,, and you can even do that on the side of a trail if you have to,,,,but if the efi was to ever go out????? then what????

Im knocking on wood that that doesnt happen, but just food for thought

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Originally posted by mopar4u@Feb 12 2004, 10:47 AM
1st gen efi, no problems.  There is a self diagnosing tool built right into my computer (the flashing red light).  Agree that if Cat could somehow formulate a oxygen sensor that would be the ultimate.
You couldn't use an oxygen sensor on a current two stroke, the oil would gum up the sensor and it wouldn't work. An EGT sensor tied in to it would be sweet though.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Originally posted by ZR Sled Head@Feb 7 2004, 10:09 PM
wheres the benefit?
Like the others said, the main thing is the proper mixture at any temp. No bogging on warm days, and no burn-downs at -30. I've had 4 EFI cats with no EFI related problems, knock on wood.

·
10,054 Posts
Originally posted by DamageInc@Feb 13 2004, 01:22 AM
Like the others said, the main thing is the proper mixture at any temp. No bogging on warm days, and no burn-downs at -30. I've had 4 EFI cats with no EFI related problems, knock on wood.
have to agree here,,,,no jetting changes when I am riding in the UP where the temp is a 50 degree turn around of what it is here!!!,,,,cant beat that

1 - 18 of 18 Posts