Discussion Starter #1
I own an 1994 ext 580 efi an the sled is running ritch an does
burn plugs...does efi tune alone by itself or not? what can
cause this trouble to happend. I start the sled to warm up
and can burn a plug... If I push throttle hard too much...burn a
plug....I dont want to return in the old days when we where
carrying a box of plugs and tool and a few spring and boogie
to go ride and hope to get back... The sled has this problems
since i bought it. Any help will be take. </span><span style=\'color:blue\'> ;) ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just because it's an EFI won't exempt it from running rich; I would check the sensors on the EFI system; I can't remember the ones that sled has but it's a strong possability that one of them is bad. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I HAVE THE SAME SLED AND CAN'T WAIT TO GET RID OF IT AS
I REPLACED IT WITH SOME NEWER IRON.
SAME THING ON MINE, I WOULD CK THE OIL PUMP ADJUSTMENT
AS MINE WAS OUT OF SYNC. CHECK YOUR CLUTCH BUSHINGS ON
PRIMARY AND SECONDARY CLUTCHES
THE SYSTEM IS SET UP FAT (RICH FUEL MIXTURE) FROM THE
FACTORY TO PREVENT LEAN RUNNING HIGH HEAT AND PISTON
BURNING. THERE ARE SOME AFTERMARKET CHIPS TO CURE
PROBLEM, PULL OFF COVER OF ECU AND YOU WILL NEED THE
COLOR CODE TO GET THE CORRECT ONE. BUT YES IT IS LIKE THE
OLD DAYS I ALWAYS CARRY PLENTY OF SPARE PLUGS AND GOT
A BOX END WRENCH TO FIT THE PLUG AND CAN CHANGE IT ON
THE FLY WHEN SHE DYES, MORE SO IN WARM RUNNING CONDITIONS.

·
Registered
442 Posts
i have a lot of experience with cat's EFI sleds and you should never have to worry about fouling plugs on these machines, they are calibrated on the safe side from the factory but not to the point of fouling plugs, you definitely have a faulty sensor some where causing the sled to go into the limp home mode, whether its the water temp, intake temp, throttle position sensor or two other sensors that i cant think of at this time

but if you wanted to spend the money bring it to the dealer and they can plug the efi analizer into it and find out which sensor is giving you the problem

·
Registered
508 Posts
Originally posted by abc@Nov 12 2002, 11:17 AM
I own an 1994 ext 580 efi an the sled is running ritch an does
burn plugs...does efi tune alone by itself or not? what can
cause this trouble to happend. I start the sled to warm up
and can burn a plug... If I push throttle hard too much...burn a
plug....I dont want to return in the old days when we where
carrying a box of plugs and tool and a few spring and boogie
to go ride and hope to get back... The sled has this problems
since i bought it. Any help will be take. </span><span style=\'color:blue\'> ;) ;)
No, these EFI systems do not "tune" themselves as they are a "blind" EFI system. They are missing one crucial component to tune themselves, they need a oxygen sensor. To this day I don't understand why Arctic Cat EFI sleds don't come with one.

Just like zr580s rule, I also have some experience with these EFI sleds. Yes they are set a little rich from factory but not to the point of fouling plugs left and right. Many many things can contribute to this. When you turn the key on your sled, look at the side of the computer, watch the red flashing light. It will flash you codes if you have a sensor bad. Get a service manual. It will allow you to check all the sensors yourself with a multimeter. It's really simple. Are you fouling plugs in one cylinder, or both?

·
Registered
29 Posts
:) 580 efi run on the rich side from the factory. check you trouble code diode on the ecu for any flashing codes. If the sled is in limp mode you would know it because it runs verrrry rich and the ecu will be flashing a code. Try using BR9EYA PLUGS INSTEAD OF BR9ES. That should solve your plug fouling problems..... hope this helps. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts