Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of putting an EGT gauge on my snowmobile from the place that I work(Dakota Digital).  I just think they look a lot nicer. They make gauges for Street Rods, Harleys and such, but an EGT guage should work no matter what it is on.  The range for their probes only go up to 1600 degrees F though.  Do I need a higher range than that??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seems to me that your pistons will be a lump o' goo by the time that sucker hits 1500, however I suppose it depends on how close to the cylinder outlet that you position your probe

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
you wont need a higher range than that because at around 1200 deg your pistons will already be beginning to burn down, guys what is the happy heat range for most two strokes???

·
Registered
287 Posts
My aaen's book says that "if your readings under full load are under 1100 degrees F., your carburation is set up too rich for the temperature and the altitude you are at and a gain in both performance and fuel economy would be possible by installing smaller main jets. if you are in the 1200-1300 range, your carburation is ideal. when the needle starts going toward 1400, you are definitely heading for trouble.  the probes need to be located 8-10 inches from the exhaust port. if you install them to close it will read low, extra fuel always escapes out the exhaust port.

don't take my word for it, this is just something i read in a performance book. I think I would stay around 1200 to be safe.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldn't have my probes set eight inches from my exhaust port , because the exhaust manifold goes into one tube about 5 inches from the port(99MXZ 600).  Should I just use one probe or is it necessary to read both cylinders??  Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't know, I have the same problem, thats why I havent installed any yet, one for both wont give you an accurate reading, you could try it before the y-pipe, and see, if it don't read right, you could always put a plug in the hole.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Some guys on here looked up the mounting specs in the AC performance book for me for my 00zr500.  I had the same trouble with a short Y pipe but the distance that AC says ends up in the middle of each side of the Y pipe.  The range they suggest on mine was 1050 with preignition at 1100.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You run egt probes 100mm from the piston face on a single pipe sled. (ski-doo race manual)  On my mxz 800 I saw as high as 1350 in the mid range with stock jetting.

·
Registered
101 Posts
you have to find out what the correct jetting is for your sled through plugs and piston wash, and then read the temp at which it is running at its best     most engines though, with properly places probes, run 1100 to 1150       i find any higher temps and they start to drop off at 500'(run out of fuel)

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
1000IMP - That is the most intelligent way I have ever heard correct jetting. It has allot more to do with than just the temp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts