Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen EGT probes that simply clamp to the pipe they are fixed to with what seems to be a type of gear clamp.

How is it that the hole around the probe does not leak?

Is the hole sealed somehow or does the probe itself just seal the opening.

I was just wondering because I can get a really good deal on a triple EGT gauge setup with the probes included and I want to know how much work it is to install them before I buy them.

Thanks.

DP

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dpaige @ Aug. 26, 2002, 2:36pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have seen EGT probes that simply clamp to the pipe they are fixed to with what seems to be a type of gear clamp.

How is it that the hole around the probe does not leak?

Is the hole sealed somehow or does the probe itself just seal the opening.

I was just wondering because I can get a really good deal on a triple EGT gauge setup with the probes included and I want to know how much work it is to install them before I buy them.

Thanks.

DP[/b][/quote]
The clamp style probe is self sealing as long as the tapered insert on the probe is intact. You insert the probe into the CORRECT size drilled hole and tightened the clamp snug.

As you tighten, the probe end connection-to-clamp taper draws down into the probe hole which will seal the probe. Basically just an interference seal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts