Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 0 Cel or even -10 to -10 cel
What kind of readings are in the normal range In Fahrenheit readings?
this is on 02 8oo ski doo / twin pipes/ stock compression

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine at idle are between 500 and 600 F on a warm motor. Egts at mid throttle should be (my is any way) around 1050 F and 1100 at wot[/b]
thanks for the reply, with a warm engine yesterday with coolant flowing( thermostat opened) it was reading mid 300's, on the stand. With no load( no driving) and just hitting the gas( getting revs to 7000-8400 in short bursts. is was reading 600- 700 F.
I know this doesn't say much, better to ride it and compare plugs and wash to temps.
I had a previous topic reguardings creeping idle problems.
When riding last winter wot the egts were mid 1050 to mid- high 1200s, with the plugs a nice mid brown color. But in the mid range, the egts were high twelves and into the 1300s.
So did alot of WOT pulls and checked plugs. Still a mid brown color and wet.

Still freaked me out though when I just sat back and cruised. THIS was when the egts shot HIGH (1300-1350).
So naturally I would crack it open and the temps dropped.

Thinkings of shimming the needles more.
Any thoughts????
Still need more snow, getting alittle today. Cheers

Any replies appreciated

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
If you are using the stock neddle's, you need to go to the '942' needles from Doo. They are adjustible and are richer in the mid. I run my temps lower due to my timing being advanced. Advancing the timimg creats more cylincer temp and a little less exhaust temp. My plugs are cardboard brown at my temps

The 942 is the last 3 numbers in doo part number. do a search in this forum on them to find out more.

Brian

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are using the stock neddle's, you need to go to the '942' needles from Doo. They are adjustible and are richer in the mid. I run my temps lower due to my timing being advanced. Advancing the timimg creats more cylincer temp and a little less exhaust temp. My plugs are cardboard brown at my temps

The 942 is the last 3 numbers in doo part number. do a search in this forum on them to find out more.

Brian[/b]
did a CPI conversion, sheilded hoods and converted to a polaris needle( forget the number and taper, but it does have five clips for adjustments, I have washers for shimming.
Talked to a BR Mech, this is a first hear for me....... He said ski doo purposely leaned the mid in the ignition box to meet the overall emissson standards( never heard this before, aywhere, on any sites, said they would not reprogram it.

I know their are aftermarket companies that will do this( Kelsey for example).

what are your experiences or knowledge in reguards to this?

It just freaks me out when I just want to cruise at mid range and the egt's shoot thru the roof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
What do your plugs look like with those EGT temps? Try doing a plug chop (shut the engine off while it's running mid-range and coast to a stop, dont' take your thumb off the throttle) and check the color. Could be you are still safe at the 1300-1350 range because of probe placement?

·
Registered
67 Posts
According to Olav Aaen's Carb Tuning Handbook (chapter 1 - engine mixture requirements) midrange is designed by to run lean, ie.

RUNNING CONDITION MIXING RATIO (by weight)
Fuel : Air
---------------------------------------------------------------------\
Starting 1:1-4
Idling 1:8-10
Low Speed 1:10-13
Light Load-Midrange 1:14-16
Heavy Load-Top End 1:12-14

Hope this helps, his book is reasonably priced, worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Try blocking your RAVEs open and do another test. Depending on your probe placement, you may be witnessing the exhaust venturi effect caused by high speed exhaust flow to the probes before the RAVEs open. Common on twin pipe set ups with probes mounted a little too far from the pistons.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do your plugs look like with those EGT temps? Try doing a plug chop (shut the engine off while it's running mid-range and coast to a stop, dont' take your thumb off the throttle) and check the color. Could be you are still safe at the 1300-1350 range because of probe placement?[/b]
At mid range, pulled the plugs and the bare a very light brown to whitish color, do a pull again wot and i get a nice mid brown color??

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to Olav Aaen's Carb Tuning Handbook (chapter 1 - engine mixture requirements) midrange is designed by to run lean, ie.

RUNNING CONDITION MIXING RATIO (by weight)
Fuel : Air
---------------------------------------------------------------------\
Starting 1:1-4
Idling 1:8-10
Low Speed 1:10-13
Light Load-Midrange 1:14-16
Heavy Load-Top End 1:12-14

Hope this helps, his book is reasonably priced, worthwhile investment.[/b]

by these stats, doesn't seem like much of a diff. b/t mid and mains? or not?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try blocking your RAVEs open and do another test. Depending on your probe placement, you may be witnessing the exhaust venturi effect caused by high speed exhaust flow to the probes before the RAVEs open. Common on twin pipe set ups with probes mounted a little too far from the pistons.[/b]

Please expain more!

How does you block the Raves open?

Are you saying that possibly the raves are not opening soon enough, causing higher egts in the mids?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Please explain more!

How does you block the Raves open?

Are you saying that possibly the raves are not opening soon enough, causing higher egts in the mids?[/b]
Pull the red caps off and the return springs then pull the RAVEs open and hold them with small vise grips.

What I'm saying is that the probes need to be located correctly (see attachment) in the exhaust stream, sometimes people locate them for convenience and see un-realistic readings because the deflected flame front caused by the RAVE guillotine is aimed right at the tip of the probe while the surrounding exhaust temperature is lower. Kind of like the flame kernel on an oxy acetylene torch the blue point is the hottest while the surrounding orange / yellow flame is a lot cooler. The opening point for the RAVE valves is depedant on exhaust back pressure which is more constant with single pipes. Now that you are operating duals, you need to taylor your opening point to less back pressure. A good bench mark to start with would be the RAVE return springs from a Mod 800 P/N 420 239 941 Blue stripe .08 X 52 MM. The other issue here is whether your using the stock air box (tuned) or gutted or Pods. BRP racing uses TMX 38 taper bore carbs on their 800 Mods because of better mid adjustability using Kick A$$ pods. The TMX 38 carbs flow as good or better than the stock TM 40s.

[attachment=40609:plug_tuning.doc]

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pull the red caps off and the return springs then pull the RAVEs open and hold them with small vise grips.

What I'm saying is that the probes need to be located correctly (see attachment) in the exhaust stream, sometimes people locate them for convenience and see un-realistic readings because the deflected flame front caused by the RAVE guillotine is aimed right at the tip of the probe while the surrounding exhaust temperature is lower. Kind of like the flame kernel on an oxy acetylene torch the blue point is the hottest while the surrounding orange / yellow flame is a lot cooler. The opening point for the RAVE valves is depedant on exhaust back pressure which is more constant with single pipes. Now that you are operating duals, you need to taylor your opening point to less back pressure. A good bench mark to start with would be the RAVE return springs from a Mod 800 P/N 420 239 941 Blue stripe .08 X 52 MM. The other issue here is whether your using the stock air box (tuned) or gutted or Pods. BRP racing uses TMX 38 taper bore carbs on their 800 Mods because of better mid adjustability using Kick A$$ pods. The TMX 38 carbs flow as good or better than the stock TM 40s.

[attachment=40609:plug_tuning.doc][/b]
Do the TMX 38 carbs accept the same jets that I use in my 40's?

Why/how are the 38s more ajustable in the mid? Is it just adjustable needles?

At this point I am still using the tuned air box, but may be pull these as I am trying to set this sled to drag race this year.

I will try the diff. RAVE return spring. Would this spring be softer?

Thinking of tightening the squish and compression with race fuel!

Any suggestions of where or if I should adjust the timing? From the stock settings? Esp. if I raise the compression?

Thanks for all the advise

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Do the TMX 38 carbs accept the same jets that I use in my 40's?

Yes, long hex jets

Why/how are the 38s more ajustable in the mid? Is it just adjustable needles?

There are more needle variations available and yes they are adjustable

At this point I am still using the tuned air box, but may be pull these as I am trying to set this sled to drag race this year.

Then you will need to tune the part to mid throttle because that's what the air box did.

I will try the diff. RAVE return spring. Would this spring be softer?

Yes

Thinking of tightening the squish and compression with race fuel!

Use the CCing method outlined in the Race manual instead of the low tech sqeazed solder approach

Any suggestions of where or if I should adjust the timing? From the stock settings? Esp. if I raise the compression?

Timing should be backed off about 2 degrees for every compression point you increase. Can be retarded through BUDS and the MPEM. Cann also be done by slotting the pick up coils.

Thanks for all the advise[/b]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts