Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 74 elan ss with the 294 motor in it, it will bog bad after half hour of riding.If i completly stop it has a hard time moving, The sled is a little rocket when its-30 and colder.My friend tells me thats normal for those sled to get bogy after a short while of riding.

Do you guys have any ideas of info?

Thanks
Mooose_hunter

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Lots of things it 'could' be, but from your description I would guess something doesn't like getting hot.

Two possibilities come immediately to mind. I have heard of cases where the coils will not function well when they heat up - you may not be getting good spark any more. Or if the rings/pistons/cylinders are getting worn you may be losing compression when it gets too hot. This would be the easiest to check - borrow a compression gauge and check the compression running well vs bogging - a good engine the compression should not change much.

There are a host of other things that could cause this but the 'running good for 30 min' make them a little more unlikely:
- partly plugged fuel filter
- bad carb (gummed up needles, seats, bad gaskets, float, etc)
- vapor locked fuel tank (try cracking the cap when bogging)
- overheating clutches (feel how hot they are when bogging, tends to blow belts)

Good luck!
dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rebuilt the carb this year, its tilly and i got it working great. I am pro at them since i have owned elans singles in the past 10 years. I can get a comp tester of my step dad next time i see him so i will have to give that a try. I am allso going to check the clutches maybe give a extra twist in the spring.(seemed to help on other sleds) Once i get the bogg out of her it going to be a real fun toy, also looking for a set of twin pipes for it another guy in town had a set on his and it souned great. The track on it never stops spinning when it does go lol 55mph on my gps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts