Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...i am getting back into sledding...its been several years but now it is time to get back into it. anyways i have narrowed it down to a 583/670 f chassis or maybe s chassis if one is priced right. i see a lot of DOO's are primer start but due to some physical ristrictions i really need a elecltric start......its not that i can not pull start one but if i have to pull it over past 10 to 15 times i am done for it. how tricky are the primer starts and can a electric be installed if one wants to?

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
well if you limit yourself to a rv engine you will need a primer. that said it is not the way it starts, it just puts fuel in the rotary valve case to help seal it(no choke). myself I don't think you will start it without one on a rv500,670. the electric start can be on either sled but you will need to prime it cold.where is your location? some here might know of a decent sled around in the price range you have in mind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
finances limit me to a rv engine from the doo line up between 1994 to 96....maybe 97/8 if one comes along for the right price and if i am patient enough... thanks for the reply now i understand it better

·
Registered
354 Posts
finances limit me to a rv engine from the doo line up between 1994 to 96....maybe 97/8 if one comes along for the right price and if i am patient enough... thanks for the reply now i understand it better[/b]

electric start over pull start..... the thing is.... if electric start fails.... you have to way to start it.... unless snowmobiles are taking on the atv technology with a backup recoil starter.... if thats the case its a win win situation for you..... and most new sleds that are properly tuned will start in under 5 pulls.... heck my 86 starts in 3 pulls... yamahas never fail me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i hear ya on the yamahopper thing...played around on a old 570 last year electric start and all but the suspension sucked big time...also yamys are out of my budget for what i like in there line up..so i am tossed up between the doo or arctic kitty..
like i said do not mind pull starts but would like electric with pull back up

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
All electric start sleds have a rewind. 1 thing I've done since I got sleds w/ electric start is when it's quite cold, use the rewind to start the sled. Trying to start a cold sled on a cold day (increased friction & reduced battery capacity) is hard on the starter.

Once the sled is warmed up, you can use the electric start for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
prime 3 times(make sure you feel or see the fuel) and it will start 1st pull 99.99999% of the time

make sure you keep the primer in the out position as it might want to stall if goes to stall give a little squirt

Once you learn how to start a primer sled you will like them better then a choke

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Once you learn how to start a primer sled you will like them better then a choke[/b]
I've only had 2 sleds that didn't have primers. Even my Elan has 1. I always shook my head when the Lesters or Kehoes whined about a 'doo they were testing had a primer. They're the experts, so why would starting a sled w/ a primer be so difficult?

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
cannot say I like one over the other. I did not have any problems with a primer though. I take that back. I do like the primer better at the beginning of the season. when starting the sled for the first time of the season.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I find sleds with a primer are easy to start untill you get flooded when cold. then you have to hold the throttle wide open & pull & pull & pull :huh: I would get electric start & if that fails then you still have the pull cord as a back up. On realy cold days I have pulled the plugs, pull the engine over about 10 times to get things moving. Install plugs then try to start.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Once you get used to the primer, it is fine. The first year that I had the primer, I couldn't stand it, but now I have gotten used to it and it is reliable. My Z starts on the 2nd pull most of the time, 3rd time for sure. I need 3 sometimes because I forget to raise the kill switch. :lookaround:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have two 97 Formula Z 583's One with a Primer and pull start, and one with a primer and Electric start. I jsut started them both today for the first time since last year. Without cleaning the carbs, or even doing anything to them, the electic start started right up, and the pull start took 3 pulls. There has been times that the pull start sled has let me down, when it is cold, it always starts fine, but occasionally when I shut it off when its warm, it can be a pain to re-start. The 583 is a great sled. I bought the electric start sled last year for $1500, with a new track on it. worth every pennie

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
prime 3 times(make sure you feel or see the fuel) and it will start 1st pull 99.99999% of the time

make sure you keep the primer in the out position as it might want to stall if goes to stall give a little squirt

Once you learn how to start a primer sled you will like them better then a choke[/b]
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,658 Posts

exactly.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The primer works great once you get it figured out...The electric start is great as well..If you happen to flood it it only takes a second to clear it out with the electric start....Alot of lawnmowers and snowblowers etc have all gone to the primer system over the choke because you can start the engine so much faster.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
My current sled has the stupid enricher valve (choke). I miss the ol' primer knob, that was the only way to get a dead cold sled to fire :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts