Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are electric visors worth it? I have two buddies that have them one loves it one hates it. When Buying a new helmet the preminm does not seem to be that large.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
great, just fantastic. i was riding in sleet once and everything was iced up but the ice melted right off my visor and it stayed clear.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Been riding for about 25 years andjust last year I decided to try one. I will never ride without one again. I have a HJC CL-12. If it's kinda warm out, i just put the cord in my pocket. When it gets cold is when it is great. My shield never even begins to fog. Now all my buddy's are buying them this year. They got tired of me giving them a hard time when it got really cold late at night and they were fogging up and I wasn't. :p

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have the same helmet 98xc700, It' the best. Nothing is better than electric shields, not even Modulars- unless they have an elecric shield on them but then your talkin at least $500. I paid about $160 for mine and will never go back.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Any sales person who tells you there helmet will not fog is a liar. Electric is the only answer. I know some guys like the goggle set-up, But i've heard that its not a good idea for those cold 2-300 mile days. Your face gets a little cold! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Go for the electric shield. I tried the aftermarket dash RCA jack & it's a POS. Go w/ the 'doo part, #861 506 600

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Buy one. Two thumbs up. There not that bad on price. I think mine was 60 or 70 for my Cat Txi Helmet.

·
Registered
307 Posts
They are defiently worth every penny, been using the same one for the last 5 yrs, i use mine even if its warm out, never seem to burn it out.

I have a buddy with a 99 MXZ600 and he can't produce enough power to run his shield, so he thinks there crap, so maybe thats what wrong with the guy you know that doesn't like his.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speaking with my buddies last night the reason the one guy does not like it is that he wears contacts and he said it dries his eyes out. But they make so much sense. At this point it seems to make more sense to buy a complete helmet rather than just the visor. Visor costs $120.00 cad New helmet with Visor $149.00cad Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Well if you haven't been convinced yet by all the posts above, I don't know if my two cents will help, but they are the best thing invented.

I only use mine when its cold, but only so I don't have to worry about the cord. You do have to unplug it to get off the sled.

FishHog

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Well i am going to have to go against the status quo. I said good riddance to my electric visor 4 years ago. Sick of being plugged into the machine like some kind of umbilical cord :0: always forgetting about it and ripping it out when i dismounted. I purchased a modular and have only had a fog problem once when and exhaust port popped off. Other than that it never fogs. The pop down sun shield is priceless and not having to take your helmet off when you stop is a big plus. Who wants to exspose there sweaty headzs in -30 weather. I have over 20000kms on my modular and broke one snap during that time=$4. Driving in freezing rain sucks no matter what your wearing. I have rode with heated visors in sleet . The ice just keeps encroaching until there is no clear visor to see from. ???

·
Registered
364 Posts
NEVER had a problem with my modular fogging :thumbsup: . had sleet build up though ( once)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I bought an electric shield in '98 and my riding buddies laughed at me. Until we were on our way back to town in the dark and it was -20°F and they could not see where we were going because their visors kept freezing up. They asked me to lead because I had a clear view, and the next year they all had electric visors. When you are riding you don't even realize you are connected, there is plenty of slack in the cord. It is a great investment.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My 2 cents: Obviously (almost) everyone is pleased with both the heated shield and the modular. If anyone wears glasses, than modular is the way to go. You don't have to take your glasses off to put the helmet on and off, and a heated visor does you no good if your glasses are fogged. Other than that we have two wonderful solutions to the fogging problem.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
A question about the Modular helmet, how "robust" is the jaw portion? I think a full face helmet would protect your jaw & nose better.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
On the heated shield. You do want to make sure that you have a place on the sled to plug it in. The Yammi I rode last winter had NO power plugs on it whatsoever. The best heated shield on the planet would have been useless to me. I had to suffer with the fogging. :(

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Its funny someone should bring up using one on a 99 MXZ as thats the sled I was riding when I first tried an electric shield. My first impressions were that its a piece of junk, barely kept the visor clear. Well I switched sleds with a ridin bud the next day, he's got a newer XCR. I jumped on and plugged in my shield and it worked mint. He complained his didn't work properly on my sled. It the made sense as my hands were always cold on that sled due to the very poor handwarmers and at night with the warmers on and shield plugged in the headlight was also fairly dim. I checked with the local Doo dealer who explained there is a know issue with them but thats the way they are. I traded the following season for another Cat on which the heaters work great so does the electric visor that I would now never go with out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought an HJC helmet with electric sheild last season for around $280 Cdn. and it was the best investment I ever made. Nothing kills a day faster then a fogged up or froze up visor. Get one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts