Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 91 Eltigre ext530 for $400 bucks and was wondering if these old sleds were any good. Is there any problems with them that I should know. It has 2700 miles on it and runs really smooth.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have a 92 ext 550 and it is one of the nicest machines i have ridden it has the power and get up and go  and i havent had many problems and it had 7000 miles on it and it looks like its almost new i had to put all new idler bearings on it but what do you expect when it gets old you gotta keep it runnin  so.. but i havent had any major problems with it  ...im very happy with my sled just make sure you have the suspension ajusted right for you weight  not to stiff or to soft and it should do you alot of good... the only thing i would watch is the track it is a lighter track so if you hit many rocks (if you ride in low snow like this year) it can gash the track and rip off some of the rubber ...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Sounds like you got a good deal!  I've never owned a 530 but I know many guys who have (or still do).  I have never heard of any crank problems with that motor (the 650's of that era did).  One friend had an inherent track ratcheting problem on his '90 but the motor never gave any problems.  Most of the guys I ride with had (or have) way more than 4000 miles on them.
My comment is the motor doesn't compare in power to the newer 500's and the ride and handling are drastically different than the newer sleds.  I know from first hand "trading with the buddies" while trail riding.  I was always glad to get back on mine.  With that said, they were a good trail sled for it's day.  Quiet and reliable.  The '91's were probably the best looking of the 530 EXT's, and for $400, who cares!  Enjoy...

·
Registered
741 Posts
I had a 91 ext530, I bought brand new. As far as reliablility, I never had a problem with it, as far as the ratcheting it probably needed a chain. My brother also had one and said it handled better then his 95 cougar and his 97 ext600. I cornered as if it were on rails. I did lose a bolt on one of my rear susp. springs and the spring flopped down and tore a couple of lugs out of the track, at 7,000 miles, I traded it on a 95 zr580 instead of buying a track for it. I got $2500.00 for it. The only thing I had to watch out for on that sled was deer, I got one in the jordan valley one night.It had custom pin-stripes on the hood and said "pure extasy", if anybody see's it you'll know who used to own it.  Kevin

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had a 89 and the ratcheting was easily fixed with a tentoner (sp?) a guy I work with has a 91 and it out runs his 2000 Polaris 550.........
I only rode mine for a half of year,I didn't like mine all that much the Wildcat was the answer for me much more power.
It did end up getting  a 550 LC from a Cheetah LT and it really improved it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My best friend's dad bought one new and just sold it last year. I don't believe he had any problems with it what-so-ever.
Good luck and have fun!!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I had an '89...bought it one year old, just traded it last season with 3700 miles on it.  It was a very nice sled for its time and very reliable.  I rode it about 5 yrs as my primary sled, then kept as back-up when I bought '96 ZRT800... unfortunately the EXT proved more reliable than the ZRT, so I ended up riding the EXT at least a couple times every year.  Have fun!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Only the first Tigers had crank problems. 86-87. I owned an 87. The crank broke at 3100 miles. Cat gave me a new crank for free. They fixed the problem by 88 and the vintage sled you are asking about isn't even the same deal. 89 was the last year of the high reving twin piper. ( a nice sled, I'd like to find a mint one) and the "detuned" 530 EXT's in the years that followed should be as bullet proof as anything out there. I loved my 87 Tiger...my ski-doo buddies called it the "snow blower"..something about the tunnel design..it would throw a roost 20 ft HIGH..no kidding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been running a 91 530 for about 5 years now and I do not have 1 bad thing to say about the sled. Bought it at 5500 miles and it now has 9000. The thing has run EXCELLENT! I have had to do nothing other than the regular upkeep stuff. It's lots fast, comfortable and a great all round machine.
I think you will be happy with your buy!!!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
If you got that for $400 and it runs, then you got a helluva deal!! My friend had one of those and he just beat the living hell of it, his little brother still rides it now and its still going strong. He's not the most mechanical minded person and never even did maintenance on it. If the machine is still going for him, it will last you for a long time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts