Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. I have the chance to save some $$ on a trailer. I was planning on buying a 4-place enclosed sled trailer and I have a relative who is going to buy a car trailer. We decided to just get one so he could use it in the summer and I would take it in the winter. Dealer advised that a car is to heavy for the sled trailer and we may have problems with the wheel wells in the car trailer. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
795 Posts
A car is to heavy for the ramp. You will bend the ramp. A car trailer is built alot stronger for the weight. You can look at the specs on a trailer but I think you will find that you will need a car trailer for the car, unless it is a very light car :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have decided if we are going to split the cost on this trailer it will have to be a car trailer but wanted to know if it would be worth doing. I wanted to know how the sleds will fit with the wheel wells getting in the way on loading and unloading. For the last two years my friend and our wives have been using two 2-place open trailers and are tired of having to put on the dirty covers after a long day of riding and then cleaning the sleds soon after we get home as well as taking two trucks everywhere we go. Our shortest trip is 5 hours to ride. I am looking for convienance and want easy loading and unloading. Just curious if anyone is using a car trailer and what size I would need not to have any problems.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
Most car haulers are only 96" wide where most sled trailers now are 102" wide. If you can get a 102" car hauler, the wheel wells are not that big of a deal. Even with the 96" you can stack the skis, but it's not nearly as convenient.

Also, most car haulers are a square nose with no front door, but they can be custom ordered any way you want them if you go with the right manufacturer. Go aluminum if you can afford it. Wash it every time you get back home if you can't. Car haulers are not made to be dragged around in the snow and salt. They aren't protected as well.

A little inconvenience to save a lot of money isn't a bad thing.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
idooski and I have talked of this before. I seen a Vintage trailer at the track with a v nose. the length of the trailer was longer. so the narrow width really would not be a problem, the sleds would be staggered and in easy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how often do you pull 4 sleds ?[/b]
Thanks for the responses.

I will be pulling 4 sleds on each trip and should to going three weekends a month as long as there is snow. One weekend a month work gets in the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more question on this. It was mentioned that some trailers are 96" wide and others are 102". I get conflicting answers depending on the dealer I talk to about the lenght of the trailer I will need. Any info would be great.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
One more question on this. It was mentioned that some trailers are 96" wide and others are 102". I get conflicting answers depending on the dealer I talk to about the lenght of the trailer I will need. Any info would be great.[/b]
If you are going to put the sleds side by side as in a trailer thats 102" wide you will want a trailer that has at least a 20' long box. This doesn't count the V in the front (if it has one), 20' would basically be just the square portion of the box. I'm not sure what an inline runs for lenth but I believe it was aroun 4' longer in the box portion.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
then it's alot of truck :wink:[/b]
his trucks smaller than mine, LOL. no mines better :whistling: not as pretty though. now that I think about it leather is better and radio is, I guess my power is all I got. :confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts