Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are alot of triple fans in here, what is you're thoughts on what we all knew was coming?
To me I'm actually sad to see the T-Cat go, since 93' I've been a T-Cat man. What am I supposed to ride now, a 150 hp twin? BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had a buddy out the other day who had never ridden a triple, he hoped on my T-Cat and it was like looking at a child in a candy store. He said he has never felt anything like that before. He also said his heart stopped when he hit the throttle. I intend to call Cat, I know it's pointless, even if I'm the only one to voice my opinion I can't let my T-Cat die in vain. Cat has closed the books on the GREATEST muscle sleds ever. ZRT600/800 and Thundercat 1000

·
Registered
448 Posts
I was able to squeeze in about 830 miles on my ZRT800 so far this year.  This was my first year on a triple triple.  NOTHING compares!  I'm very happy to have experienced the awesome power & smoothness of a triple.  If you noticed that I'm typing in the past tense, you've been paying attention.  I was hoping to keep the ZRT for a long time, even if I got another sled.  Sadly, I found a pressure crack last Sunday.  It's in the hands of the insurance company now, but looks like it's a write off.  Riding a triple triple has been an incredible experience that I will never forget.  I'm sad to see them go!

The release of the F7 is easing my pain.  With any luck my next sled will be an F7!

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
hey what are you guys whining about ? a couple days ago someone here on the cat forum said there is a new 1200 thundercat coming.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got a 97 ZRT 600 what a machine. It's my first new sled (bought w/ 2100miles,but new for me). Dam does that thing go , one of the few sleds that can still break the a$$ end lose at 30mph. I still have it , but I think I'm going to get a 2002 or 03 Polaris 440 Pro-X Fan. I'll try to keep the 97 and set it up for all out drag-racing.  Cause it just doesnt fly as nice as a 440. To bad to see the triple triples go  

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
I didnt hear about a new 1200 thundercat it may be possible as a late release... The only thing I heard about from an undisclosed resource is a 1300 hayubusa style 4 stroke that will desimate all! I had a triple and in my opinion I am glad there gone... To much of a pain in the A*s or at least thats the kind of experience I had. I rode a ZL800 and I would give up a triple for one anyday

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nothing equal's the feeling you get when you hammer the throttle on a 230+ HP so called "out-dated, and heavy triple".

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think it's a bunch of crap that A/C is eliminating the tripples!!!!!!! I can see getting
rid of the 800 tripple. (There new twin 800 is just that good).
I really do think that the "baby tripple" and the 1000 need to stay!!!
how many of you would want to use a stock twin 600 mountain riding?
I want to know who the people are that have this much hate for the tripples!!!
I am assuming they are the same people that buy a 440 or 500 twin and (think)
they can ride like Blare Morgan.

I do agree that the tripples are a little heavier. The trade off is that they have a much
better ride than the light twins. They also have power, power, power. No twin can even
hang in the same class with a tripple.
I am 32 years old and would like to think that I speak for the other over 30 men
and women that don't want to ride like a snocross racer 100% of the time.
We want a nice ride and a whole bunch of HorsePower at our demand!!
No twin can deliver that kind of combo!

I am in the market for a new sled next season. I think that Skidoo makes a pretty good
tripple 800.
One sad a pissed off A/C owner!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I cant belive AC would do this.  I still am not sure if AC is really doing this or if there just creating some hype.  YOu know (THE RETURN OF THE TRIPLE.)  In any case to me it doesnt matter how big a twin they make it could be a 600 or a 900 (Which is accually a 863) it doesnt matter to me.   I want to ride triples because i know that they are a much nicer, smoother engine with one he!! of a DARK SIDE.  The sound and power is what addicted me to a triple and for me a triple is the sled to own.  All my riding is rail lines and lakes.  My 800 Mach gets better fuel eco then my buddies 500 mxz driving on the rail lines because hes on the bar and im still idleing.  For those of you that think thats a joke get on one.  They still sound like there idling at 90kmh.

Its sad to see them go.  

TaxiCat -- Im 85% sure that skidoo is comming out with a new MachZ 800 or bigger in the ZX Chassie with the x package suspention.  That could give us the handling and agility of the mxz with the power of the 809 triple triple.  That would make for a good replacement.  I would love to buy one but my sled is still to new so im going to have to wait it out but there is hope.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wow you two are going to make me cry, but i agree i have been riding cat's triples since 96' and love the triples.  If they came out with a 500 triple i would probley buy one of those.  But i would still keep the Zrt 800 for the wife.  A wise man once said that your wifes sled be the other sled you would like to drive.  I believe that wise man was PaulYarek.

·
2,267 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We want a nice ride and a whole bunch of HorsePower at our demand!!
No twin can deliver that kind of combo!

[/b][/quote]

I disagree with that statement. The 800 twin definetly has comparable takeoff that an 800 triple could achieve. I know that the 800 triple has some better qualities but none of us have ridden the new 900 so I wouldnt be so quick to jump all over twins. You can do alot more with a sled that doesnt weigh over 600 pounds. The triples in all of there qualities are a thing of the past now and we just have to bite it.
   The death of the triple is our fault, we didnt buy enough of them so there wasnt a market for them. you have to make money on a product not lose money. My buddy works for AC in MN. He doesnt tell me alot because he knows I would be all over the net telling you guys LOL but he did tell me this. Too many guys ride the triples like A*sholes and blow them up or manage to break something. They ride Thundercats like morgan rides a sno-pro and expect them to be just as good. They spent the most warranty budget on triples and when they were putting alot of money into upgrading it and no one was buying it, its tough to want to have the sled stick around. Maybe you will see the "return of the triple" kinda crap that Manufacturers do but it wont be long lived. Blame ourselves for not making them a popular commodity

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'll be curious to see what cat replaces the zrt6 with.  Having owned a '96, '98 and currently an '01 zrt6, i'm indeed sad to see them go.  Other than the initial recalls on the 96, i've never had a problem with the motor, other than cleaning the valves on the '01.  (that problem fixed by going to Amsoil)  

Cat currently has a big HP window to close in the performance line.  104 hp F5 to the 139 hp F7.  You could throw in a ZL600 to close the gap to 112 hp to 139 hp, but I feel cat needs a 125 hp sled to replace the zrt and fill this gap a little bit.

David

·
Registered
413 Posts
How many years did cat go with no 700 model to fill the gap between 125 and 140 or whatever the ZRT 800 was?  Maybe they will deal with it for a few years until they bring the triples back.  I truly think it is a cycle.  Right now the everyone wants twins.  In a few years everyone will want triples again.  At least I hope.  And they will bring them back.  I guess that also depends on the future of of the 4 strokes.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You know, getting rid of the triples is a shame!  Then you look at the new high hp twins.... They may have the horses but they don't have the torque.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Contacted Cat, they told me that they just decided to go to an all twin lineup. They felt that the consumers wanted lighter, quicker and more agile sleds.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I feel sorry for you triple guys. That sucks to have Cat turn their back on you guys. Contrary to popular belief, there is still a market for triples. Cat is gonna lose a lot of custumers if they dont come out with somethin in the triple market. Should make the other manufactors happy.

·
2,267 Posts
As far as the horsepower gap goes maybe an F6 could throw up 125HP if done right. I would like to see that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
One day I will probably have to dump the 600 Triple Touring and I hope I find something I like as much or do a major tear down and rebuild. I bought a used 99 ZL 600 efi twin this year and find it louder and more vibration but the power for me is ok
It probably isn't possible but it sure would be nice if the long track tourings were lighter in all makes lines regardless of the motor configuration the twins don't seem a lot lighter than the triples and the new 4 strokes are going to way even more .  I guess you can't have your cake and eat it to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts