Snowmobile World banner

Engagment

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  dgrasser 
#1 ·
Quick question...First ride on my 94 580EXT and it seems to jump into gear awfully harsh from takeoff,(around4500)mayby its normal I dont know.It does have a brand new clutch from Goodwin performance.I'm somewhat new to riding but mayby this has something to with the button type secondary,or because Goodwin hooked it up?Just curious,I dont mind it. ???

#2 ·
i'll bet that thing hauls out of the hole, my Zr 580 has a 4500 soft engagement and can beat bigger sleds out of the hole pretty easily

it doesn't have anything to do with the secondary,  just as long as your sled is running within the specified rpm on top end and you dont mind the engagement its alright i think the EXT 580's are supposed to run 8100-8300 rpm on top

#4 ·
94 EXT 580 should engage between 3200 and 3400. You are way high in engagement. Its fine but the motor is a single port 580 and has good grunt from 3400 right up to where you are engaging at. Also, you may want to check your chain for slack. The EXT's came with an automatic spring type chain adjuster which is nice since you dont have to adjust the chain tension but is not as durable as the manual style which came on the ZR. With a launch which you are describing you will probably need a new chain sooner as you cannot manually take out the slack in the chain.
Stock 94 EXT EFI primary (sea level): red spring, 50.5 gram weights (Cat A-1). With your Goodwin though I dont have any idea what they run.

#5 ·
Your primary spring is responsible for mostly engagement and some squeeze on the belt.
The softer the spring the lower the engagement and stiffer the higher.
I think that is a little high for a 580 even with the Goodwin kit.
Like the others say hard on componets.
I would personally choose something around 38-4000 tops.
Good luck!

#6 ·
While the spring affects the engagement, at least as important (if not more) is the weight (cam arms). For example, with the stock setup, if I wanted a higher engagement I would personally opt for less weight as opposed to more spring pressure since the weights overcome the force of the spring. Also, I personally would rather have the clutch use as little force as possible and still hold the belt as the clutch will run cooler as well as last longer. Just my .02

#7 ·
I am new to all of this, but I have a 2000 ZL500 that engages at 5000.  It is really snappy and beats most bigger sleds out of the hole.  I am worried that it runs at higher rpms though and doesn't have much of a top end at all, 90 mph, maybe 95 mph with a good tail wind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.