Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 670 rebuilt. put in one new piston and replaced all seals and gaskets. What do you guys suggest as a good way to break it in? How far till it's broken in?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Rocketman, I thing the best way is a nice trail ride, The main thing is don't hold it wide open for to long, and dont hold one thottle position for to long. After 200 k start riding harder, after 300k she's ready to ROCK!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Like mr.670 said,break it in fast and it will be fast,break her in slow and she'll be slow.Just no prolonged wot for the first couple hundred kms.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
rocketman,
 i've always felt never abuse anything but see if you can bust it in the first half hour and if it holds together then no more worries.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hey Rocket, ride it like your gonna ride it, just don't hold it open for too long. That should do it

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I thought...justt thought I'd check to make sure I did it right. NO oil in the gas right?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey rocketman is that the guy that says his sled is going to kill him, because it keeps on hitting things.  Like it's the sled.

What is this susposed to be?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Rocketman,

Another thing you may try is to put 2 pints of oil into your gas tank in addition to what you have in your injector tank. Run the gas out of her and you are ready to rock!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
A little oil in the first tank, can't hurt.  I don't know if I would go 2 pints, but 1 would provide a little safety margin.  Just change the plugs after, and your off and running.

Good Luck,

FishHog

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think I put a quart in my frist two tanks, just to be safe.  And I would go the 400 miles or 4 hours route.  Thats what I did on my MXZ 670.  Vary the throttle a lot, and you'll be fine.  I wish my 02 was broken in.  Only has 85 miles on it, and I put all 85 on in one day back on Dec. 1st.  

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have found, the more you baby it, the more it breaks. All i do is let it idle for a few min to get it warmed up, go for a little ride(like less than a klm), and then hammer on the throttle on the way back.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I used 6 ounces of oil in my 10 gallons of fuel in the tank for the first tank, riding nice and easy, well somewhat easy. My ZRT is still running strong. filled it 6 times now, don't worry about running it empty the oil will be gone anyway.

Racers that I know run them wide open from rebuild to the end of the race weekend with no breakin time or oil in the gas, but they are racing, then again you can't win blown up, sometimes they do blow up but not often.

Just ride it the way you feel comfortable, as an old wise man once said, "does 'break-in' not also mean 'broken'?"

Good Luck with the 670, I know one person who lost his 1997 MXZ 670 2 times due to Weisco, and 2 times to Tempa Flow, or was it 4 times due to improper tuning?

·
Registered
72 Posts
oil in the gas is to help breakin the bearings, since it sounds like you only did top end adding oil will make the rings take longer to break in. to much oil can actualy hurt the rings bye not letting the heat transfer to the cyl. walls, over heating the rings, not very comon but it happins. in theirey less oil is best for ring seating.
I personaly use the 20/20 method on breakin; 20 miles or 20 minutes wich ever comes first (bye that time you'll know if somthing was installed incorectly, or wrong parts used, ect.) & its time to hammer on it! & as every one els has said no "extended" WOT for a hundred miles or so ( to keep from over heating rings before they seat)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts