Snowmobile World banner

Engine Life

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  dooman 
#1 ·
What is the typical engine life of a 600/700 CC before it needs a rebuild? Or what mileage have you guys done rebuilds at?

#2 ·
I like to rebuild every 2000 miles...if you take care of it right, at the rebuild you will only need new gaskets. That way you have a good chance at catching something before it goes boom. But as long as the compression is there it should be fine. Another option to tearing it down all the time is to do a leakdown test, which will tell you if your pistons/rings are worn.

#3 ·
I just drive them till they explode.

You cant give out a number, Ive seen 583s got 20000km plus even heard of some going 30000km. But ive also heard of some blowing up at 6000km.

It has to do with, how you drive, oil your using, Jetting of machine, Maintance. But most important is quality of gas. If your running water thru the motor and you get a lean condition your sled will be short lived.

If you use gasline antifreeze and use a high quality gas, IMO it should be high octane no matter what the sled is rated for, and use an oil such as amsoil, let it warm up before driving. I belive your engine will go a long way. Its not impossible for you to see 20000km as well.

#4 ·
This question could get lots of debate. In my opinion this relies on many factors like how it is ridden, is it a "flawed" engine to start with, how is it maintained, how is it stored in the off season and so on. I can tell you, the two sleds I have have 5 and 6000 miles on them respectively, and they have not been touched motorwise for any failure, one is liquid cooled, and the other is fan cooled. I do a compression check every year and they still are reading like new. I run good oil, I clean my carbs every season, I warm them up properly, I used Isopropyl, I store them inside to prevent internal parts from rusting and when something doesnt look or feel right I investigate. I do not baby my machines, but I am no racer either. If you start out with a solid foundation for an engine and properly feed and maintain it 10,000+ miles is not unheard of especially on liquid cooled machines.

#7 ·
I have 6000 miles on 98 FIII 700 with original PTO bearing. Never been into the motor. A good operating and maintenance process puts the odds in your favor.

Running: I run premium with IPA whenever the temp drops below 20F. Let the engine warm before flogging it. Run good oil and turn up the oil pump if you have one of those engines that is prone to throwing PTO bearings.

Maintenance: Fog it and drain carbs every spring. Each fall clean out the carbs

JD

:)

#10 ·
I saw a 92 V-max 4 with 55,000 kilometers on it in Quebec last year. The owner said it was stock and had been rebuilt once at 20,000 (for precaution, not because it had been blown). I also know someone who put 12.000 miles on his 99 SRX and finally the first thing on the machine broke...the track. Not to sound biased, I have seen other brand machines with more than 20k I just thought the V-max was worth mentioning. I still can't believe that the SRX went that long with only coolant flushes and proper storage as maintainance. Like everyone else is saying, proper maintainence and storage will save you in the long run. I am not sure about how you ride it...the guy with the SRX is very hard on the throttle and he is still doing well after breaking only the track. We will see after this season...he is sure to put at least another 2000 miles on.

#11 ·
Originally posted by mxz7@Nov 27 2002, 08:17 PM
Doo claimed 12,000 miles on series 3 engines. I wont own one that long to find out.
I bet now that they see the effects of the new motors they will not say that,more like 1500-2000 miles,holding great compression and rings flaking,hmmm.pic I found but identical to how mine looked at 1900 miles all stock boys this one had not been touched.I will post a pic of them when I tear it down in the next week. ???

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.