Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there. another sledding season is upon us and i have a few questions about a sled. i've got a 1987 indy 500 trail fan cooled. the top end was blowen up. what i wanna know is can i put the pistons and top end cyclenders and heads off a 1981 indy galaxy 440 on my 87 indy 488 fan? is there a storke issue here at all? also that galaxy motor in pre-mix. is there a way to drill 2 new holes in the galaxy cylenders to inject the oil in the engine or do i gotta run premix?

·
Registered
644 Posts
The parts should fit I believe. You may have some issues which could cause premature engine failure. However, it will likely work alright if you take the time to set everything up. Make sure you get the ignition and fuel system set up right as well. The carbs should be the same bodies but you'll need to replace jets, needles, the throttle valves(slides), etc. Take your time, get it right, watch things close from the get-go so that you don't burn it up until you have it all good and it'll probably go long. On that old stuff, I wouldn't sweat it too much. The 440s went a really long time simply 'cause they were easier on the same stuff that they used for the high hp fan engines of the time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts