Snowmobile World banner

Engine quitting

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mxz21 
#1 ·
I have a 99 mxz 600 that I have had since it was new.  Yesterday I took it out for the first time this year.  I did clean the carbs and clutches as normal before riding.  It ran fine for about 3 hours.  At the end of a field after being on the throttle, it was like I shut the kill switch off.  Atfer rolling to a stop I checked the DSS switch and the kill switch and it started first pull.  It did this three more times in about as many miles, starting right back up every time.  After pulling into the yard, I pulled the plugs.  They were lighter than I think they should be.  I was told that this machine will shut itself off, if it is too lean.  The airbox and carbs are off now and I see that there is a filter in the oil line between the tank and oil pump.  How often should this be changed?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am headed to Maine soon and need to get this corrected!  Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I don't plan on riding it, unitl it is right again.  We are going to the Northern Outdoors which is in The Forks.  Last year we went up to Millinocket.  The trails were better, but the lodging was not as good.  Thanks for your advice, I am going to dig into it tonight.

#4 ·
Check to see if fuel shut off is on. Is there spark when this happens? When it happens can you get it to fire using the choke? I had similar problem on 96 formula sl. I found the filter in the tank had fallen off. I'm not sure if that sled has one in the tank of not. This would be worth looking at. May have the filters in the carb inlet( small screen in tube that hose connects to):D

#5 ·
Thanks for your help. The problem was that I was not running resister plugs. That morning I grabbed normal B9ES's and did not think anymore about it. I stopped at a local performance shop last night and they told me that with the MPEM, you must use resister plugs or it will act up. Just thought I would put this back out there, maybe someone else will make the stupid mistake I did!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.