Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 ZR440 that had a piston come apart on me last year. This year I would like to put in a 600.

My question is, what do I need (besides the engine) to do this swap?

I know I will need the carbs and exhuast, but do I need the CDI and other electronics?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Alot would depend what year 600 you come up with. I think the engine mount would be the same but you would want to check that out at www.brownsleisureworld.com They have all the AC parts listings online. If you go with a 600 with APV, 3D ignition, or EFI it will get alot more complicated but still do able. I don't know about the CDI but i'm thinking you will need one for a 600. Other then that I think you would be looking at what you listed, clutching, and gearing.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Black magic has a kit for that. Saw it in their new catalog.....

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
The 600 Block is different from the 440 block so the engine mounting is going to be different. I think you will get more replies. I have seen these for sale. I saw one running the lakes like champion two years back, someone told me he had a 600 in it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking for a 98-99 600 to stay away from APV and EFI ignition.
I thought a 600 would bolt right in. Anyone know what would have to be changed to make if fit?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Your right BurchZR. I just looked up the parts lists on brownsleisureworld and the part numbers for all 5 engine mounts are the same for a 440, 500, or 600. The crankcase is a little different then a 500or600 if I remeber right, but can be machined to fit 600 jugs I think. You would want to talk to a speedshop like D&D or BM to find out for sure if your going that way. Also you could use a 2000 cause that was still pre APV and 3D ignition and its looking like the CDI is a different part number for the different engines.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Motor mounts are the same. Dont know about stock pipe fit as i went to twin pipes on mine. I dont forsee a problem with stock pipe clearance as the pipe for that 440 motor had a large expansion chamber (i.e. youre lower hood vent is allready cut away for clearance). Youre air box is even the same other than carb boots.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
How is that possible withthe different block? they always looked different to me... :doh:

·
Registered
884 Posts
We have a 98 440 Sno Pro that we put a 600 ZR Motor in. The 600 Motor drops right in and mounts to the same place the 440 Block would. The 440 block is completely different than the 500/600, and you will have a nightmare trying to get 500/600 Cylinders to mount to it. We too are running Twin Pipes on ours instead of the stock single pipe. All in all it was a pretty smooth instalation. The Sno Pro Chasis with the Twin Piped 600ZR Motor is a handfull, man does that sled run! Let me know if you have any other questions!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. Now I just have to find an engine for it. I plan on checking at Hasting next week. Any suggestions on where to get one?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Give John Cornelie an email. He is a member on here. I think I spelt that right anyway you can look it up in the member list. He seems to sometimes be able to come up with stuff. Lives pretty close the the salvage yard in Thief River Falls, MN. Otherwise there is a dealer up there I've heard can get stuff and your local dealer might also make a trip up there I know mine does but I think you have to be a dealer to get in. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts