Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have an 91 ski-doo tundra 250 single and i am getting bored of it and not going fast enough. my buddy has an 1991 safari 377 twin. i was wondering if i could just put the 377 in my tundra and if it would work? the safari is just beat all up and im not gonna bother putting the 250 back in it. any help would be appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
I dont mean any offence to you on this, but your not only talking about two completely different sleds but a completely different era of snowmobiling.

To answer you question, no it cant just swap in, and no its not worth it. There is much better solutions to your delema. A newer used sled is only going to cost a grand or at most 2 grand more than the motor you want to put in that sled. Put it this way, I bought a 1995 polaris xcr 600 with 2000 miles in 1998 for $2000. I got a pretty good deal but really, in the spring time these deals are all over the place.

I just want you to answer the question of why would you spend the money and time to have a snowmobile that isnt really much of a snowmobile as far as the 2000's are concerned. Buy a late 90's sled and be extremely happy with spanking your buddy and having a load more suspesion capabilities and much better handling. But keep your Tundra for another 20 years and sell it as a classic sled to someone who will pay a pretty good dollar for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha ok then. i wouldnt be out alot of money if it did work anyways he's sellin the whole sled for 200 bux i just wanted to know if it would work cause im gonna buy it for a parts sled anyways and i just wanted to tinker around with er. but anyways thanks for your help i appreciate it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
hey anything is posible and everything is worth it if you want to invest the time and effort. The Tundra's are a nice light machine escpecally compared to any tank you can buy today. Depending on what you use the sled for then the 377 would be nice as the 250s are just a little under powered for the long track. If you use it for trapping or ice fishing then really what are you going to do with a liquid cooled high powered sled. I had had an old citation 250 ls and loved it. Would go just about anywhere......somthing that my current sled is lacking. My brother also had a simalar citation which he also loved and he eventually did drop a 377 into it. Thing went pretty good too. The only problem he had was he had a hard time getting the clutch alignment right and he burt a lot of belts but I belive that with a little dilagence you could solve this problem. Any other questions or concerns just ask and I'll do what I can to answer.

Nick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i appreciate the advice. yea im willing to spend the time and all since we have no snow at all here in nova scotia and i think i might try to put the engine in over the summer er something. and yea i was told from a buddy of mine that the only real issue would be to get the clutches lined up right, but if your brother put a 377 into his citation then i think i could put a 377 into my tundra as the tundra and citation are very similar. i dont really use it for ice fishing or trapping at all, i just want a bigger engine to turn the longtrack better as a 250 doesnt have the power for the longtrack.
thanks for you help.
Justin

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
triples in revs. yeah anything is possible. time and effort :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts