Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy that just rebuilt a Indy 440 Trail. New pistons, cylinders, gaskets everything even a new CDI box. Crank is the same. He put it all together and it fires through the carb and that's it. Anyone have any ideas? Timing issues? We've been told you can't check the timing without it running. Is this true? :bash:

·
Registered
476 Posts
How old is the Trail? Can't remember for sure, but some of the early 440's may have had points instead of an inductive pickup. IF it's not a points engine, and you did not to anything to the crank, your timing should still be pretty close. Firing thru the carbs? Explain that a little more.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure but it a wedge style hood. He has even tried starting fuild and it would even fire on that. Stater plate issues?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm not sure but it a wedge style hood. He has even tried starting fuild and it would even fire on that. Stater plate issues?[/b]

Did you take the stator off, or did you leave the whole bottom end alone. If you did take it off, did you make marks to line it back up how it came off?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He replaced the crank and he did take off the stater plate off, I'm sure he didn't make the mounting location. Other wise it would be running now. I got envoled when he couldn't get it to start. Jason gets in a bit of a rush at times and it ends up taking longer to do things right. When you pull the engine over it doesn't look like it's pulling fuel through the lines either. It wouldn't even fire on starting fluid. He has the engine all back together right now. I know it will end up being pulled apart again just to try and set the timing somewhere near right. Am I getting close?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts