Snowmobile World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1998 sled has inserts molded into place. When reupholstering the seat, the inserts, which secure the front most part of the seat cover, broke loose from the molding. There is a hairline crack inside a very small hole where this brass insert sits. Just enough to leak about 2 gallons a day. I went out to the shop to find a gas soaked sled.
The type of plastic that is used for gas tanks is not soluable by any of the repair products that I have seen and at the parts stores. JB Weld did not work.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Is my part stores missing the one type of glue/epoxy/resin or what ever it takes to repair this?
Any ideas on how to fix this?

·
Registered
448 Posts
There's a method called plastic welding.  Don't know if it will stand up to gasoline, but worth a shot.  This is something done by special shops.  Talk to your local auto mechanics, they should know someone who provides this service.  But remember to ask if it holds up to gas.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fixed it.
I heated socket screws with a lighter then threaded them into place, the plastic melted around the threads nicely. then with a soldering iron I sealed around the edges.
There is NO epoxy, resin, or glue that would stick to the tank.
The seat cover was secured in a different place since the inserts were not there anymore.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thats funny my 96 zr580 seems to have a leak in it to the way my gas disappears. The thing is that it only disappears when my sled is running, I personally pledge to put Enron back in business the way that my sled sucks gas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.