Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OEM specs say to measure exaust temp 3.937 inches from the piston skirt. With my twin pipes that brings me to the flange on the pipe. What should I do with these probes? Should I install them as close as possibe and get an inacurate reading but watch the piston wash to figure out what the new temp reading will be?  Thanks in advance.Dave.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, I am not sure what kind of sled you have so I looked at your profile and and I think you are talking about your 2003 ZR900 which has a "Y" pipe. Now you say that you have twin pipes and if I were you I would use the spec's for the 900 T-Cat and the ZRT800 and they are as follows. Measure 5.0" from the cyl. exh. flange down the exh. pipe. Pre-ignition = 1300* and normal temp is 1230* to 1250*.

Auggie

PS: Who's pipes did you buy and what do they say??

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have BM twins. I didnt phone the BM guys because I thought that I had it cased......guess not. Off topic whitch do you prefer?........Dial a jet or Tempa flow? I want to run it right on or pipes are pointless.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, last winter I rebuilt a Black Magic 1106 that this guy had in a T-Cat. The PTO crankshaft bearing seized because the bearing oil hole located in the crankcase transfer port was not drilled all the way through. Anyway he had a Tempa-Flow installed on the carbs and he said that it worked great. Tempa-Flow has a new one out this year that is a killer setup but I think it cost over $200.

Auggie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts