Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed my egt and probes and was wondering if it was normal to have two way different readings for each side. I warmed up the pipes and and watched to see what the temps were going to be and got a big difference in the two. Is it normal and if it is by how much? The probes are = distance down the pipes and I thought that they wold be alot closer in temp. I have a westach gauge and was told they were good.Thanks in advance. Dave

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would say one cylinder is fatter than the other, or one cylinder cools better than the other. Thats the reason for having the gauges. now get both of them running the same, at a good temp rating, and you will probably notice a big difference in way the sled performs.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ideally your temps will be within 50 degrees of each other. The first thing to check is your spark plugs, make sure both are in good working order and properly gapped. Next check that your carbs are properly synchronized. Now you are ready to start tuning your sled. Remember the EGT's are just a tuning aid, you must (after tuning) check piston wash and spark plug color to determine what temp reading is ideal for your sled, usually for a twin with properly placed probs, it is 1250 degrees. If you get very high temp readings without melting a piston, you are flaming the probes, which means it is so rich that flames are blowing down your pipes causing a false reading. If you have questions, just ask.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Have you checked the psiton wash on both cyl? How about header color?

Switch the probes and see of the problem follows the probe or stays on that cylinder.

What kind of sled? Mods?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, you know Sled-head I wouldn't be to worried. I don't think you have snow yet at least that you can ride on. You are probely running your sled on a stand in your garage. Don't waste your time trying to do a tune up with your EGT gauge until the snow files. I have used these gauges on a lot of sleds and everything will even out when you can put a load on the engine.

Auggie

P.S. how dose it sound??

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds gooood. Not to loud but it has that twin pipe kinda rap. Thanks for asking

1 - 7 of 7 Posts