Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '87 Exciter that my 12 year old has been enjoying.

The track is worn considerably, however the rest of the sled is mint.

I've seen 3/4" lug replacements that are priced reasonably and would like to replace it.

My question is; How involved is a track replacement, does the chaincase HAVE to come out and with a sled this old what kind of problems will I encounter, ie; seized bearings to shaft, frozen bolts, etc.

Anybody have experience on this- Thanks

·
Registered
884 Posts
It is not that bad of a project. Yes you have to split the Chain Case Open and get the Chain and Bottom Gear out. You will also have to take the Secondary Clutch out to make it easier to get to the Drive Shaft on that side of the sled. Oops, I should have started at the beginning, first of all you have to get the skid frame out., then go to the next steps I said. You will probably run into some Shafts that have "locked" in bolts, but don't sweat it. Let us know if you need better instructions on doing this!!!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
It is actually easy, but time consuming the first time you do it.

Pull out the rear skid:
Loosen track adjustment bolts
You can take off guide plates that hold torsion springs to rails, but I never do, but will help to collapse the suspension
Take out skid suspension mounting bolts to tunnel 2 in rear, 2 in front, these may be fun
Slide the skid out.

Some people lay the sled on its side to pull skid out, I don't, I have a hook in the ceiling in garage and hang the rear of sled up high from it, and adjust it up and down as needed.

To remove track, you must remove chain case cover, drive shaft, etc.

Chaincase:
Remove exhaust
Get something under chaincase to catch the oil
Remove bolts holding the cover on and remove cover, get ready for the oil to come runnig out
Loosen the chain adjuster bolt
Remove the cotter pin on the top gear
Remove nut from top gear and bolt from bottom gear, hold the brake to help hold the gears from turning, Don't remove until you undo the nut behind the speedo gear mentioned below on driveshaft removal
Remove chain and gears
Remove spacers and washers(shims) and keep track of where they went

Drive shaft:
Remove secondary clutch
Remove speedometer gear housing which is behind the secondary clutch
Remove bearing holder and speedo drive pin from shaft
Remove nut on driveshaft, hold brake to help hold shaft
Now remove the nut on the chaincase side
If your sled has 4 drive sprockets or 2 drive sprockets and 2 wheels, you will need to loosen the one closest to the speedo end, there is a metal ring with a set screw that holds the sprocket or wheel in place, loosen the side towards the middle and slide the sprocket or wheel towards the middle
Now slide shaft out towards the speedo drive end and tip the other end down
You should be able to slide track off the lowered end of shaft.

I think I got everything right, the last time I did this was last year to our 89 Exciter.
Once you have done this once or twice it will go real fast.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You should be able to go to a 1" track, take a peek up in front and on top of track with a flashlight and see how much room you have. We have a 1.5" x 136" track on our 89 Exciter, had to lower suspension a little for that.

Also to bad you are on the other side of US from me, I have 2 almost new 121" tracks from 2 1990 Phazers, and have the original 121" track from our 89 Exciter in almost new condition.

If you want to take a look at them check my website at

http://www.zenitram-inc.com/kgmz.htm

·
Registered
678 Posts
I put a 1 1/4 inch kimpex aggressor on my old 87 exciter, it fit no problem. Any bigger though and it won't clear up front near the sprocket. Also, when you have the skid out check the rear cross shaft where it meets the arm, they like to crack there and it will allow the skid to flex sideways too much.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Since you got the drive shaft out check the bearings.You should change them since they are out so you dont have to do it again :D The big tell tale sign the bearning is about to quit is your speedo stops working, to much play breaks the end off the cable. :cussing:

·
Registered
791 Posts
I am sure the track from that Phazer will not fit. The old Yamaha sleds had a 114" and I am sure your exciter does too. My 83 Excell III which is identical to an exciter has a 114" track. It maybe longer or shorter by a few inchs cannot remeber exactly what they are but a 121 is to long I know that for sure. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Folks :thumbsup:

I'll think I'll give it a try. I appreciate the tips

My main concern is that bearings, bolts & shafts are going to be seized up and ruin my day.

But it looks like I got plenty of time before the trails open, it hit 70 degrees today.

I think I'll stud the new track. How does 144 x .875" sound?

Thanks again.

SWRules

1 - 8 of 8 Posts